The Cellardyke Echo – 27/4/2016


Post Office accommodation – with the introduction of the national and judicious system of penny postage, greater facilities for the postage and delivery of letters have been adapted for the convenience of the masses in general. Under these circumstances we have often been surprised how Cellardyke containing upwards of 2000 of a population, should have been so long debarred from enjoying the benefit of having a ‘special letter delivery or receiving box’ for the accommodation of the inhabitants.  A short time since, through the exertions of Mr Fowler, our chief manager, the unceasing benefactor of this place, and other influential merchants in the town, a petition was transmitted to the post office authorities, calling their attention to our want of postal arrangements.  The petition was confided to the care of Mr Ellice. MP and the proper authorities having taken a view of it, we are happy to have now to record that a ‘sub post office’ was opened a few days ago, in the house of our respected townsman Thomas Brown….


On Tuesday last four boats belonging to Cellardyke delivered at the quay at Eyemouth from 3000-4000 haddocks each and a large quantity of cod. The total gross of fish delivered from these four boats was nearly 16000 fish.


On the occasion of Captain Robertson the inspector of the lifeboats in connection with the national Lifeboat Institution, being in the district in discharge of his official duties, he had an interview with a number of the Cellardyke fisherman in reference to their proposal to station a lifeboat or coble at Anstruther harbour. In the course of his conversation, he expressed himself as highly favourable to the undertaking, and in order that a boat of the best description for the locality might be obtained, he advised them to delay immediate action, and to deposit the money they had already subscribed into the bank until such time as he had an opportunity of representing and urging their claims upon the Institution.


Wanted – a good second hand SEWING MACHINE, state makers name and lowest cash price. Apply to John Martin, Waterproof clothing manufactory, Cellardyke


The other day as the Cellardyke deep sea going boat, belonging to Mr John Gardiner, was out at the great line fishing, upwards of thirty miles in the offing of Aberdeen, the crew found a large shark entangled amongst the lines, which with much difficulty they hoisted on board, for the purpose of extracting the liver. One of the fishermen by curiosity, opened the shark’s stomach, in which was discovered a fine salmon of about 12 pounds in weight, which could not have been in the shark more than an hour. With the exception of a blemish or two in the middle of the body and tail, as if it had been caught there by the teeth, the salmon was unscathed. On arriving at Anstruther the fishermen divided their prize amongst them, and on it being cooked it proved delicious and savoury.


On Thursday the steam lighter Hemaja, employed at the Union harbour Works, returned from a trip to North Queensferry bluestone quarries, when the crew reported that Robert Anderson, a seaman belonging to Cellardyke, who had charge of the lighter had not been seen since Monday night. According to their statement, the vessel, which sailed from this place early in the morning, had gone into Granton that some repairs might be done on the steam pipe, which having been completed, and the steamer ready to continue the voyage up the Firth, Anderson who is said to have £6 in his possession went on shore to clear the vessel at the dues office. He was last seen about 7.30 in the evening, and not returning after the short time that was required for the errand, his two companions gradually became alarmed, and made enquiries for his safety. As the time wore on these enquiries became more and more anxious, and a search was made on shore, and the harbour near where the steamer was lying was also dragged, but all to no purpose, as no trace whatever could be found of the missing man. Seeing there was no hope of finding him, the steamer sailed from Granton on Wednesday morning, and arrived here as we have said with her cargo, on Thursday about noon. When the circumstance, as was to be expected, caused the greatest uneasiness, amongst Andersons friends.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *