The Cellardyke Echo – 17/8/2017


St Andrews

Mr James Morris, retired baker, died this (Friday) morning at the advanced age of 77. He has been a well-known citizen for many years. He was a native of Anstruther, and: for some years was in business in Cellardyke as a baker. Mr Morris then acquired the baker’s business of Mrs Kirk, in Union Street, St Andrews, and later carried the successful business in Market Street, now in the hands of his son, Mr David Morris.

RECORD HERRING CATCH AT ANSTRUTHER. Late on Saturday the steam drifter Plough skipper Martin Gardner landed a shot of herring, which was the record catch be landed at Anstruther, namely 165 crans, which fetched 30s per cran, or a total value of £247. The highest catch previous to this was landed by the steam drifter Violet, namely, 140 crans, at £1 per cran. Previous Saturday’s shot the earnings of the Plough for the season were £1100.

Pittenweem –  The herring which were caught for curing were caught 40 miles East South East of the may Island.

WICK – The best fished Fife boats on Tuesday were Breadwinner, Cellardyke, 50 crans, and Scot, Cellardyke 40 crans.


CELLARDYKE FISHERMEN AND THE WAR. A large meeting of fishermen was held yesterday Cellardyke Town Hall to consider as to whether any steps could be taken utilise the steam drifters, which would give employment to the fishermen whose ordinary occupation has been interrupted by the war. The men were addressed by Sir Ralph Anstruther of Balcaskie and Mr H. T. Anstruther, ex-M P. for St Andrews Burghs. Mr Anstruther submitted communications from the Admiralty to the effect that at the present the steam drifters could not be utilised for defensive purposes. Mr Anstruther submitted details of the terms of service in the Royal Naval Reserve, and about 30 young fishermen indicated that they were prepared to join this force.


OUTSIDE THE LIMIT. ADMIRALTY PROSECUTION George Anderson, fisherman, Rodger Street, Cellardyke, Kilrenny, Fifeshire, skipper of a fishing boat, pleaded guilty to having on 30th June last, contravened the Admiralty orders by shooting drift nets outwith the prescribed area the North Sea. The Procurator Fiscal (Mr Hilson) stated the facts of the case, which were similar to those cases brought before the Court few weeks ago, this offence occurring at the same time these previous oases. He asked his Lordship to deal severely with the case. Mr R. G. Johnston, solicitor. Duns, who appeared for accused, whilst admitting his client had gone outwith the prescribed area, said that previous to this offence, many other fishing boats had gone beyond the limit, and accused —thinking that this latitude seemingly granted by the patrol boats might also given to him —had done also. He also stated that those boats which had exceeded the limit had made catches of between £300 and £4OO value. Mr Johnston farther admitted that, of course, although such latitude perhaps might have been given by the patrol boats, that did not justify accused disobeying the law, but he contended that if the first boats had been made an example of, the present case would not have required to come to court. He asked that his Lordship to impose as small penalty he could see his way to do. The Sheriff said he had the utmost sympathy with fishermen, as could see there was certain amount of hardship imposed their having to remain within a certain limit; at the same time he could also see that the Admiralty, who were in charge of a responsible position, when they had laid down a certain mileage, had conceded a great deal. But whilst had, as had said, the utmost sympathy for men who are making their living, could not put it out of his mind that there were other people who were suffering hardship, and were not fishermen, in connection with the War, and was of paramount interest to everyone in this country as patriotic men to put an end to a War which was the largest in the history of the World. People in this country had got to understand that, however much the hardship might be, and that was the first consideration he had to apply. They knew from the orders issued to them that it was a very serious matter to shoot their nets in the fairway, where His Majesty’s ships were going up and down, the Government having attached £1OO to each one of the offences. He had imposed penalty of in respect to the last 3 cases that were before him, and he did not see any reason had been put before him why that should be reduced. The interest of the country must considered in the first place. £20, or 30 days; allowed 1 month to pay. John Fernie, fisherman. Reform Street, St. Monance, Fifeshire, pleaded guilty to similar offence, also did Alex. Reid, fisherman, 49 George Street, Cellardyke. Kilrenny, committed on the same date, 30th June. A similar fine was imposed in each instance. The Sheriff said wished some these men would take into consideration what would have been done to them in Germany if they had done something of this kind.

North Shields – Scottish drifters were most poorly fished, the best shot being twenty crans by sailing boat the Unitas, Cellardyke which averaged 72s per cran.


It is reported that Private Andrew Dick, Black Watch, son of Mr James Dick (Henderson), fisherman, East Forth Street, Cellardyke, has been “gassed.”

Private Andrew Lawrie, Black Watch, who is son of Mr Andrew Lawrie, fisherman, Cellardyke, has been wounded a second time.

Private Archibald Carstairs, Gordon Highlanders, whose mother resides in John Street, Cellardyke, has been wounded.

Handsome Recognition of Gallantry. Skipper John Hughes, of the Cellardyke drifter Evening Star, has just received from the Admiralty a D.C.M. medal in recognition of services lately rendered in the sinking of an’ Austrian submarine when on patrol in the Mediterranean. Sometime after an Italian transport ship was blown up by mine. This vessel was cut in two, and the fore part sank very quickly.

About 200 soldiers 6 and sailors had just time to put off in small boats, while other 300 were crowded together on the poop of the ship, which kept afloat. When so many were in such extreme difficulties the Evening Star came alongside and took off the whole of the 300 men, and not only so, but also rescued those that were in the small boats, the result being that they were crowded together the drifter practically like herring in a barrel.

Fortunately, another patrol came to the rescue and took off a large number of those who had been rescued.

Skipper Hughes, Mate Robert Hughes (his brother), and the rest of the crew nave received handsome recognition both from the British Government and the Italian Government.

The skipper and mate of the Evening Star are sons of Mr Robert Hughes, fisherman, John Street, Cellardyke, and he and the family are naturally proud of the gallantry displayed by the sons in the rescue of life. It now 14 months since they went out on patrol service.

Mrs Pratt, Ellice Street, Cellardyke, has: been informed by the War Office that her son, Lieutenant D. D. Pratt, Highland Light Infantry, has been wounded


(in amongst all the terrible war news – my favourite article)

Giovanni Brattesani, ice-cream vendor, at Cupar to-day was fined 10s, or five days, for selling three sliders to Cellardyke girls after eight o’ clock Mr T. W. Davidson, solicitor, Cupar, stated that the assistant who sold the sliders thought pity to waste them.

The Sheriff—Do sliders not keep over night?

Mr Davidson I believe not in consequence of the sweetening mixture that is now used instead of sugar.

Died of Wounds. Private George Corstorphine. Black Watch, second son Mr and Mrs Corstorphine, West Forth Street, Cellardyke.

And as I have already mentioned this week with the laying of the wreath, the story of the’ Janes’ and Andrew Henderson’s family Andrew, Alexander and His crew Thomas Boyter and James Wilson.  Here is the letter sent to the Skipper’s Widow.

“It is with deepest sorrow that I write to you to offer my sincere sympathy in your terrible bereavement. I am the Officer in charge of the patrol boats which guard the Eyemouth fishing fleet and I was the last person to whom your husband spoke in life. He had sent a message to me that there was an obstruction in his nets so we had come within a boats length and I was asking him about it when the explosion, which was undoubtedly  caused by a mine becoming entangled in the nets, took place. When the smoke and spray had cleared away nothing whatever was to be seen except broken pieces of wood, and there was no sign of the crew although we searched the spot carefully for some time. I am quite sure that everyone was killed instantaneously and that no one can have suffered any pain. Before leaving the place I read the funeral service because I thought that you and the other friends of the crew would like this. I knew your husband very well and I often spoke to him since I have been on duty here, and only on Friday last I had a long talk with him about his sons and his new boat and I had a great regard and liking for him as indeed everyone here seemed to have. I understand that he was home for the weekend and I saw the boat on her way. As I suppose you only parted from him yesterday morning I feel that nothing I can say can really comfort you, but we all consider that in meeting his death while working to bring food into the country he has given his life for our cause just as much as a man who dies in the trenches.”

The skippers of the Eyemouth fishing boats 18 in number, held a meeting that day and expressed their sincere sympathy with Mrs Henderson and the other relatives of the crew.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *