The Cellardyke Echo 30/8/2017


Thomas Chater, butcher, 15 Dove Street, Cellardyke, admitted that 2.45 a.m. on 24th July, allowed a motor car to stand without rear light in Main Street, Kingsbarns. For this he was fined 15s, and for having failed to have an efficient, reflecting mirror had to pay another 10s.


DEATH OF A HAWICK POET. A painful shock was felt in Hawick last week when it became known a gifted and respected townsman James Y. Hunter, M.A., headmaster Cellardyke, Anstruther, had died suddenly at Crieff, where he had been on holiday.

CELLARDYKE SCHOOL APPOINTMENT Mr Alexander Kelso, first assistant of Denbeath Public School, Buckhaven, and headmaster of Buckhaven High School Continuation Classes, has been appointed interim headmaster of Cellardyke Public School


THREE HURT IN FIFE CRASH MOTOR CYCLIST IN SERIOUS CONDITION Two Fife motor cyclists, the driver and a pillion passenger, were injured in collision with a car at the junction of High Street and Park Place. Elie, late last night. They are two men named Henien, thought to belong to Cellardyke, the elder of whom is believed to have sustained a fractured skull. The younger man suffered from cuts and bruises. They were taken to St Andrews Hospital. The driver of the car, Mr D. C. M. Thomson, Gowanlea, Earlsferry, secretary of Earlsferry Thistle Golf Club, escaped with slight injuries.


Compensation of £275 has been awarded the widow of a Fife fisherman who is said to have been driven insane and taken his own life through fear of losing his sight.

The claimant was Mrs Ann Keay or Tarvit, 29 Rodger Street, Cellardyke, Anstruther, and she claimed as compensation for the death of her husband, Alexander Tarvit, from owners of the motor boat Taeping (Miss Elizabeth Bett, Fowler Street, Cellardyke; Mrs Annie Smith, Fowler Street, Cellardyke; Mrs Elizabeth Bett, 2 Burnside Place, Cellardyke. Anstruther; and John S. Bowman, butcher, Shore Street, Anstruther

Alexander Tarvit, was employed as a fisherman on board the motor boat Taeping during the summer fishing of 1939 in the Shetland Island waters. On 27th June, while assisting in hauling the nets aboard the boat he was struck on the right eye by a herring and received an injury which was sufficiently serious at the time to cause him to stop work and make for his home at Cellardyke after having his eye attended to at Lerwick. He reached his home on 2nd July, where he at once received medical attention and his eye was found to be very inflamed and painful, but in the opinion of his family doctor no permanent injury had been done to his sight and it was only a question of time till complete recovery would established. Deceased was seen daily by Dr Wilson until 13th July, on which date he committed suicide by hanging himself. These, he thought, were the undisputed facts of the case. There was no evidence as to the manner in which deceased reacted to the injury before he reached home, but there was abundant evidence, which he thought must accepted, that he was a changed man on that date and continued so until he met his death.

Claimant averred that his death was a direct and material result of the injury.

Sheriff-Substitute J. More found that when Tarvit committed suicide he was suffering from mental derangement, and that such derangement resulted from the injury which he received in the course his employment. His lordship found for the claimant with expenses, and assessed compensation at £275.


Mrs Robert Gay, 81 George Street, Cellardyke, has been notified her son, James Gay, Royal Navy, has been ‘killed action at Tobruk. Aged 21, he was born at Methil and educated at Anstruther. He was a fisherman when war broke out, and volunteered for service with the Navy.

Five East Fife fishermen lost all their belongings when the St Monance motor fishing boat, Annie Mathers, was destroyed by fire in the Pentland Firth. The crew returned home on Saturday with a grim story of their fight for life when the vessel caught fire and they were forced to take to the small boat.

They had to row four miles before reaching land, and they took turns at rowing and bailing the water out.

The skipper was William Mathers, Sea View House, St Monance, and his crew were all Cellardyke men —James Boyter, 32 George Street; Martin and Robert Tarvit, brothers, 50 James Street; and Tom Murray, 57 John Street. They were on their way back from the herring fishing at Stornoway. The engine suddenly burst into flames, and the men were forced to take to the small boat. They had no time to collect any of their belongings, and all their clothing and money were lost. After rowing for an hour and a half they reached Crosskirk. The blazing boat drifted ashore at Crosskirk. All the gear aboard had been destroyed, and only the hulk was left.

Six years ago to a day Martin Tarvit was shipwrecked off South Shields when the fishing boat Venus was in collision with another boat.


CELLARDYKE TEACHER’S DEATH The death has occurred St Michael’s Hospital, Leuchars, of Miss Christina Dowie Murrie, eldest daughter of the late ex- Provost John Murrie, fish salesman, Bellvue, St Monance. Miss Murrie, who was a school teacher, was only transferred to Elie from Cellardyke three months ago. She formerly held appointments at Stirling and Berwick-on- Tweed. She was a devoted member of Braehead Church, St Monance.


Mr J. Butters, Cellardyke grows grapes at his back door on a vine which is frequently washed by high waves. He had a bumper crop this season.


When Mr Corson, South Queensferry, and Miss Euphemia Muir, Cellardyke, were married in Cellardyke Parish Church, the service and the reception were recorded. The bride is a member of the well-known family of fishing boat owners.

 (another article)

WEDDING INNOVATION. At a wedding ceremony in Cellardyke Church tape recording of the proceedings was taken by a well-known East Fife firm of television and radio engineers. On being played back, the reproduction was perfect, even to the responses of the contracting parties. The recording will now be transferred to gramophone record, which, along with the photographs, will form a lasting memorial of the occasion. From enquiries already being made, it seems likely that the innovation will be largely followed at future weddings.



Found by a Cellardyke fishing boat crossing the Moray Firth betwixt Helmsdale and Fraserburgh, on Thursday last, a very large and valuable salmon net, perfectly entirely with its appendages. Whoever has lost it will have it returned to them, by applying to George Smith, Fisherman Cellardyke upon paying all expenses.

On Thursday night last, betwixt 11 and 12 o’clock, as one of the Cellardyke boats, returning from the north country fishing, was off Peterhead, a passenger the name of Wilkie, a flesher, belonging to St Andrews, while reaching forward with boat hook to some part of the tackling of the sail, unfortunately lost his balance and fell overboard. From the darkness of the night, and the boat being then under of sail, no assistance could be rendered him, and he was not seen after. Wilkie had been Helmsdale following his profession there during the fishing season, and is probable he would have some money; at any rate he had papers upon him, so that when his corpse is found he will be easily recognised.


Anstruther – The herring fishing has been highly successful. The herrings have hitherto been, upon the whole, of the finest quality; the prices for them would, at the northern stations, have been reckoned extravagant, the average for the last five weeks being about 14 shillings per cran, and the quantity taken has been great, each boat averaging upwards of 200 barrels. One boat belonging Cellardyke after completing her compliment of 250 barrels at Helmsdale, delivered here no fewer than 103 barrels taken at the Old Haikes off Kingsbarns, a place from time to time frequented by immense shoals of fish.


John O groats Journal-  Gale-

During the evening the gale moderated and ere morning the wind had changed to the NW and was by nine O Clock blowing a pleasant breeze eleven boats from Buckhaven and Cellardyke, which had been prosecuting the fishing here, taking advantage of the wind and tide left for home.

Anstruther – Several boats came in with good shots of Haikes herring, but on Saturday it was obvious the fish had left the ground as many of the boats were clean. Several boats, on Saturday were late in getting up, and their fish having been caught the day before, injured them so much that one or two curers refused the fish from their agreed boats. One of these refused 6s 6d in the harbour, and set sail for a French Lugger lying off the harbour, but the quality being so bad, they returned with them to Cellardyke where the fishermen cured them themselves. On Monday, all the boats were out, nigh off here, but got no fish. On the 26th, with the exception of 16 lazy crews, who remained in the harbour, all went to Dunbar, most of whom returned tolerably well fished.


ACCIDENT TO A FISHERMAN AT ABERDEEN, Late last night Charles Hay (32), fisherman on board the boat Florence of Cellardyke (Robert Brown, skipper), got his right arm fractured by falling from the Florence to deck of another boat. He was removed to the Infirmary.


Fully 40 of the Cellardyke boats have returned home from the Northern Stations. A few having done very well, having netted between £400 and £500 for the season, while other have made barely sufficient to pay expenses.


On Sunday the body of John Muir (19) son of David Muir, Cellardyke, skipper of the Reindeer KY 46 was found floating in the South harbour. He was last seen in Broad Street at on o clock on Sunday Morning and it is supposed that in attempting to board his boat he had fallen into the water.

GOOD NEWS FOR THE EAST COAST FISHERMEN. BOARD OF TRADE EXAMINATIONS. Mr George Watson, Cellardyke, bas passed his examination second mate this week before the Local Marine Hoard Dundee. Mr Watson had not nearly completed the four years’ sea which the Board of Trade require from candidate for examination for certificate competency as second mate, hut his service in deep-sea fishing vessels was allowed to count instead of the time he was short of the four years. This passing of Watson will show to fishermen on the East Coast that their service is of use, that is allowed count to qualify them to pass a Board of Trade examination for a certificate, and that they have not to serve much time to qualify for passing as a boy leaving home for the first time. It also serves to prove the statement of Mr Swanston, assistant secretary, Marine Department, Board of Trade, that “service in bona-fide deep-sea fishing vessel*, irrespective of the mode fishing, is accepted qualifying towards examination for a certificate of competency.”


The Cellardyke boats which have been fishing at the northern ports returned home mostly on Friday and Saturday. The season has been a good one, the average over the 160 boats being estimated ab £130. The “king-fisher,” Skipper Adam Reid, of the Reliance, has £ 530, and the lowest £ 30. The great majority have -close on £ 180 to £200, although there are a few with £300 to their credit. Generally, the boats which were at Peterhead were the best fished. Crews are now being made up for the south fishing at Yarmouth and Lowestoft, while a few are to proceed to the Islay fishing.

Fraserburgh Police court

For failing to appear in answer to a charge of being drunk and incapable, George Moncrieff, fisherman Cellardyke, forfeited bail of 7s 6d.

Peterhead bails forfeited

Peter Boyter, fisherman Cellardyke, 10s


The Cellardyke boats have all returned home from the North the highest being the Reliance with £420

Yesterday forenoon telegram from announced the sad tidings that Thomas Pringle, Cellardyke, had been drowned off Leven. The unfortunate young man was one of the crew of the Onyx, Skipper Robert Meldrum, and left Anstruther about 3 a.m., with the intention of beaching the Onyx in Leven Dock for the winter.  He was about thirty years of age, and engaged to be married in a fortnight.


The captain the fishing boat Mizpah, of Kirkcaldy, KY 398 reported, on arrival Aberdeen on Tuesday afternoon, the loss of one of his crew, young man of the name George Watson, belonging to Cellardyke, and twenty four years of age. Watson was assisting, along with others of the crew, adjusting the boat’s sail, when about 10 miles east by north of Aberdeen, when, some means, he was knocked overboard. The boat was making considerable way through the water at that time, and the only immediate measure that could be adopted towards saving the unfortunate fellow was the throwing of oar his direction. He sank, however, and did not appear again during the time the Mizpah remained the vicinity. Watson resided 8 Rodger Street, Cellardyke, and intelligence of the sad accident was once despatched to his friends by the skipper of the Mizpah on its arrival Point Law. The accident will doubt form the subject of an official inquiry.

2 Replies to “The Cellardyke Echo 30/8/2017”

  1. I have found a medal issued to pupils of Cellerdyke Public School to celebrate the Diamond Jubilee of Queen Victoria in 1897. I think it may have been given to my grandfather William Fraser. If someone in your Trust would like to have it I will gladly send it to you.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *