The Cellardyke Echo – 25/5/2023 – Issue 390


DEATH OF FIFE SOLDIERS IN AFRICA. — A more insidious enemy than the Boer is now thinning the ranks of the British army in South Africa East Fife has given two victims to the scourge of the climate, enteric fever. One of these was Private James Bayne, of Cellardyke, a lad who gallantly volunteered from the local Rifles into the Black Watch, on the first call. He left Perth in February last, going to Southampton. Ever since he landed in South Africa, he had been unwell, and it is supposed he must have contracted cold on the railway journey between Perth and Southampton. Deceased was in his 25th year. He was of a bright and cheery disposition, and was a great favourite among all classes. The second is the son of our townsman, Mr Alexander Grieve, gardener. His son James, who was only 21, enlisted in the Army Service Corps some years ago, and his steadiness won him two steps up the ladder. The sad records from the hospitals form to-day the only cloud upon the march to Pretoria, and amid the national rejoicing there is extended a tender sympathy to all the relatives of those who are cut down. (James Cameron Bayne, son of William Bayne baker, lived at 35 Rodger Street, Cellardyke, he died at Bloemfontein Hospital, on 28th April of pneumonia)

THE PATENT SLIP AT ANSTRUTHER —As formerly reported in our columns, a Limited Company was formed some months ago to construct a slipway for repairs of boats and other vessels at the Harbour. The slip has been in course of construction for some months at the east harbour. The length of the cradle, on which boats vessels are placed, and which runs up and down on rails, is 90 feet, while the breadth of the slip is 19 feet. The slip rails are 245 feet in length. An engine of 8-horse power has been fitted up to work the cradle, but it has gearing equal to 30-horse power. From the gentlemen who took part in the formation the scheme was bound to prove a success. The construction of the slip was entrusted to Mr James Miller, boatbuilder, and he has carried it through in a most thorough and satisfactory manner. Mr W. Balfour, Ovenstone, has acted as engineer for the work, and with his usual and well-known resource has overcome all difficulties. The only delay in completion has been the tardiness in delivering the boiler, which, however, was unavoidable owing to the brisk state of the iron market. The work is now, however, quite complete, and steam was got up by the middle of last week. On Friday last., the first boat was placed on the cradle, and successfully hauled up in presence of a large turnout of onlookers. The first boat to be placed on the slip very appropriately bears the name “The Reform”—belonging to Mr Alexander Rodger, Cellardyke. The boat, after being guided on to the cradle, crept up noiselessly, but slowly and surely, and was placed in position for repairs without a hitch. Mr Millar manned the boat, and Mr Balfour the engine, both in a masterly manner. The slipway will be a great convenience to fishermen for getting their boats cleaned, caulked, or repaired, and will save them much expense by rendering it unnecessary to go to distant ports for such accommodation. The Company has been floated with a capital of £1100, and it is expected the shareholders will get a fair return. The Chairman of the Company is Mr John Marr, and Mr H. Watson, solicitor, is the interim Secretary.


In Anstruther last Friday night, a very enthusiastic reception was accorded to Private F. Grubb on his homecoming from the war in South Africa. Accompanied by the Volunteers and Pipe Band, a procession was made through Anstruther and part of Cellardyke, and all along the route vast crowds of people gathered and heartily cheered the Private.


Through the energy and enterprise of the Streets Committee the top of the Tolbooth Wynd has been partly concreted and steps put in, also with concrete. It looks very well, and it is to be hoped it will encourage the Committee to further improve the ancient burgh. The wynd is also to be laid with causeway blocks instead of metalling as at present.

A Case of Smallpox – Some consternation was created in the district last Friday night, when it became knows that a fisherman suffering from smallpox had been conveyed from Rodger Street, Cellardyke, to Ovenstone Hospital in the ambulance waggon. The particulars are that a St Monans boat (Jane and William, skipper, Robert Meldrum), manned by a Cellardyke crew, arrived from Shields. where they had been fishing for a few weeks, on Friday forenoon. One of the crew, George Murray (Geddes), had been complaining since Tuesday previous, and on being taken home, and Dr Ferguson railed, it was found that he was suffering from smallpox. The Doctor lost no time in notifying the hospital authorities, and the ambulance waggon arrived in the evening, and took the patient to Ovenstone. The other members of the crew were immediately vaccinated, and the usual precautions taken by the sanitary authorities to prevent any spread of the disease. On Saturday morning, Dr Nasmyth, the medical officer, arrived from Cupar, and saw to the fumigation of the boat as it lay at the middle pier, while the houses of all the crew were also sprayed with fumiline. On Monday night, the ambulance waggon was again sent to Cellardyke, this time to take away the clothes of the patient. The presence of the ambulance sent a rumour abroad in Anstruther and Pittenweem, that another case had occurred, but fortunately this was not the fact. The case in hospital is a mild one, and there is every hope that the disease will not spread.


ACCIDENT AT THE HARBOUR.—An accident, which might have been attended with more serious consequences for the victim, occurred at the harbour on Wednesday afternoon. James Scott, eldest son of Mr John Scott, grocer, Cellardyke, while engaged on board a fishing boat received a pretty severe wound just below the instep with an adze. A small artery was severed and a good deal of blood lost. Dr Ferguson was called, and the patient was removed home.

DEATH OF THE OLDEST INHABITANT. Yesterday the remains of George Watson, aged 92, and the oldest inhabitant in Cellardyke, were laid to rest in Kilrenny Churchyard. Deceased, who was a very tall man, and tailor to trade, was familiarly known as ” the long tailor.” addition to his own occupation, deceased acted for a considerable number years as Procurator-Fiscal for Kilrenny. In his early days he was a. prominent figure both at political and municipal election meetings.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *