The Cellardyke Echo – 20/7/23 – Issue 398


DAVIDSON & Co., CELLARDYKE, Are again replete with all the latest Plain and Fancy STRAW HATS. Another delivery of that Fashionable American Sailor HAT in all colours. A nice selection of CHIFFON HAT. Children’s Cream COATs and PLESICES. Have you tried a pair of our CORSETS most comfortable to the wearer. A selection of new Dress Goods, Prints and Zepher, Gents’ hats and Caps. A fine selection of Ties. Boys’ Ready-modes.


The Transportation of the Glaswegians commenced as early as Wednesday of last week, when the first contingent arrived, bearing the indispensable bags and boxes. From then up to Saturday night, the pilgrims of rest and recuperation continued to be dumped down at the station, they wound their way in search of apartments. The numbers this year have greatly increased, it being generally computed that over 600 are at present sojourning in tbs three burghs, Cellardyke providing accommodation for the majority. Were one to blindfold oneself, or get lost to one’s present surroundings, the transportation would be complete, as Shore Street at any part of the day resounds with the pitched, unmusical “sing,” which assuredly marks the “singers’ as exiles from St Mungo. However, our Glasgow friends bring with them an air of stir and life, and their presence (and their money) is always welcome. Unfortunately, the management of the weather has not been successfully carried out, high winds and rain being frequent, but on the whole the visitors enjoying themselves thoroughly, excusing the breeze on account of its “bracing air,’ and the rain for the freshness It lends to the vegetable life.


ACCIDENT AT THE HARBOUR. — Last Friday night, an accident occurred at Cellardyke harbour to a little boy named Keay residing in East Forth Street, which might have resulted far more seriously. The lad had been playing at the Shore with some other children, and by overbalancing himself on the parapet at the ” wear-awa’,” fell over on to the street of the pier, and sustained a severe injury to the head. He was at once carried home, where his injuries were attended to by Dr Wilson, and his condition since has been quite satisfactory.

The Arrival of New Drifters – The Drifter Evening Star, owned by Skipper Robert Hughes, and which was recently launched Mr Miller, arrived from Leith on Friday afternoon after having her engine outfit put in by Messrs Hawthorns & Co., Leith. In the forenoon, the trial trip was from Leith to the Forth Bridge and back. The trip was very successful upwards of 10 knots per hour being secured. On Monday night, the drifter Venus owned by Messrs Smith, Murray, and others, Cellardyke, arrived at Anstruther. The engines have been made by Messrs Cran & Co., Leith. The trial trip was also to the Forth Bridge and back, and the speed obtained was 10 ¼ knots per hour. Among those on board at the trip were Mr W. S. Bonthron, Mr James Miller, and Mr Balfour, Ovenstone. The vessels are expected to be ready for the fishing next week.

The boats at the north are doing remarkably well, but it feared that, owing to an outbreak of typhoid fever at Peterhead, the Cellardyke crews and famlies at present there will have to remove.


SAD DROWNING ACCIDENT AT BURGHEAD. A sad accident, resulting in the death John Falconer, a deck hand the steam trawler Riverdale, Aberdeen, happened on Wednesday evening. The Riverdale, which was proceeding to Iceland by the Caledonian Canal to prosecute the trawling there, arrived in Burghead Bay on Wednesday afternoon, and anchored about half mile from the North Pier. During the evening several members of the crew, including Falconer, came ashore in their small boat. About 10 o’clock Falconer returned alone to the harbour, boarded the small boat, and sculled out to the trawler. When about 150 yards from the Riverdale. Falconer was observed overbalance himself and fall overboard. The accident being seen from the harbour, a small boat was put off, but although a diligent search was made, no trace of the unfortunate man was found. Deceased was native of Cellardyke, Fife, and was about 29 years age, and unmarried. The body has not been recovered.


When the herring fishing boat Star of Hope, KY. 672, arrived in Aberdeen on Wednesday night, the skipper reported that Angus McLeod, fisherman, was killed on board by the breaking of the mizzen mast about 75 miles south-east of Aberdeen that morning. The crew were shaking herrings out of the nets when the mast broke, and a heavy part of it struck McLeod, death being almost instantaneous. Deceased, who spoke Gaelic, is said to have belonged to the West Highlands.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *