The Cellardyke Echo – 14/9/23 – Issue 406


ACCIDENT TO A FISHERMAN AT ABERDEEN. Late last night Charles Hay (32), fisherman on the fishing boat Florence of Cellardyke (Robert Brown skipper), got his right arm fractured by falling from the Florence to deck of another boat.  He was removed to the Infirmary.

FISHING BOAT FOR SALE. To be SOLD by Private Bargain, THE Excellent FISHING BOAT, “SEVEN BROTHERS,” Cellardyke, No 105. For further particulars apply to Messrs Jamieson & Guthrie, Solicitors, Anstruther.

ANSTRUTHER BURGH COURT —At this Court on Monday, before Provost Darsie and Bailie Morton, James Thomson. fish cadger, Anstruther, and Alexander Keith, labourer, Cellardyke, pled guilty to committing a breach of the peace at the East Shore on the 6th inst. by fighting with each other, and creating a disturbance. A fine of 20s each or fourteen days’ imprisonment was imposed.

“GUILTY TO THOUGHTLESSNESS.” At Cupar Sheriff Court on Monday, two young fishermen, named Thomas Stewart and Leslie Jack, Cellardyke, were charged with setting fire to some whins on the road between Kilrenny and West Pitcorthie, Steward pled not guilty, and Jack pleaded “guilty to thoughtlessness.” The Fiscal—What do you meant Jack—l was lighting my pipe, and the match I threw down set fire to the grass. The Sheriff thought it was rather a hopeless case if there was no conclusive evidence. The Fiscal replied that he would be satisfied if Jack got a warning. This was done, and the two men were then dismissed. It seems the two men had been attending the religious meeting on Sunday night at Kilrenny, and being a fine night went for a walk afterwards.

Assault Case —Before Provost Martin and Bailie Sharp yesterday at Cellardyke, John Doig, fisherman, Shore Street, was charged with having on Saturday night assaulted Martin Gardiner, junr., by striking him with his clenched fists three severe blows on the face to the effusion of blood, and also with creating a breach of the peace. He pled guilty to the assault, but not to breach of the peace. This plea was accepted, and the Fiscal said it was one of three Saturday night drunken brawls which were becoming too frequent. Two previous convictions were recorded against accused. The Provost said It was very sad to see Doig before them again. It was only in the month of April that he was fined here for similar conduct. He seemed quite determined to go down on his downward course, but he very earnestly impressed upon him to give up drink altogether. If he went on in this way it would end very seriously for him, because if he came back a third time he would not get the option of a fine, but would be sent to prison. Meantime, he would be fined 15s, or 14 days’ imprisonment. It is distressing that such a fine. looking young man like him should get into such scrapes, and he hoped this would be the last time he would be there. The fine was paid.

The next case was that of James Cairns, farmer, who was charged with assaulting one of his farm servants on the 11th instant to the effusion of blood by striking him a blow on the face. Pleading guilty a fine of 10s- or seven-days imprisonment imposed. The fine was paid.

WARNING TO TURNIP STEALERS —At a Burgh Court held in Cellardyke yesterday, a young lad of nine years of age, named James Moncrieff, was charged with stealing one or more turnips from a field near the Infant School, belonging to Mr Cairns, Kilrenny Mill, on the 9th instant. He pled guilty. The Fiscal said it was very disagreeable to bring such a young boy into Court, but people’s property must be protected, and they were all aware of the mischief done by turnip stealers. Provost Martin, addressing the boy, said he was a very young boy to be in a court of justice, and asked him if he was led to take the turnips by other boys. Being answered in the affirmative, the Provost said in future he must not do wrong because other boys told him to do so. He would be let off this time, but must promise to behave in future, and never take things not his own. The father, who accompanied the boy, thanked the Magistrates for their leniency. Two other boys named James Watson, one residing in George Street and the other in Croft Terrace, were next charged with wilfully uprooting and destroying a large quantity of turnips in a field near the Infant School on the 9th instant. They pled not guilty. Mr Cairns testified to the large number of turnips uprooted and destroyed all over the field. Constable Houston said that owing to complaints he had been watching that field for several weeks back. At the back of Cellardyke Church he saw two boys among the turnips near the back of Forth Street. He saw them kicking the turnips, and picked up twelve shortly afterwards newly uprooted. He ran up after them and caught one, who told him the names. He was certain there were only two boys in the field at that time. One of the parents cross-examined, and asked whether the boys were barefoot or had boots on, to which the reply was that the turnips were kicked up out of the ground. The Fiscal craved a conviction. The parents said the boys went into the field to get clear of going to the school, and that the damage was done by other boys before they went into the field. The Provost said the magistrates had no doubt that the boys were in the field. It was most unreasonable for people to go into fields and damage property to the extent in which it was done, and it must be put a stop to. These boys knew what they were doing, and the Magistrates have no doubt whatever that they were guilty. But they were not sure as to what to do with such boys, and would adjourn the case until Monday the 29th, so as to consider what should be done to them. Those boys would not attend school, and were only going about doing mischief, which must be stopped. They must come back in a fortnight again. As one of the parents left the Court he complained that the damage done to fishermen’s property was never inquired into by the police. The Provost advised him to lodge a complaint, and he would guarantee It would he inquired into.


FISHING GEAR FOUND AT SEA —The Cellardyke boat Seagull arrived at Anstruther on Saturday evening, and Skipper Alexander Cunningham reported that when ten, miles off the Girdleness bearing north by east, be picked up floating in the me, two nets, one net rope, and four dogskin pallets. There were no names nor marks on the gear except one pallet, which was marked “R.M.” Unless claimed soon, the gear will be publicly sold by the Custom-house authorities.

Mr HT Anstruther, M.P. for the St Andrews Burghs, addressed a small meeting of his constituents in Cellardyke Town Hall last night. Provost Martin presided. Anstruther devoted his speech entirely to fishing questions. According to all accounts, there did not seem to be any very serious or strenuous opposition to himself in the burghs present, whatever he might anticipate in the future. had had correspondence with the Commissioners Woods and Forests to the right of fishermen to catch salmon in the open sea. It seemed to him there was perfect right for fishermen to do so beyond the three-mile limit, and if there was a prosecution the onus of proof would be on the Crown Authorities, and not the fishermen. (Applause,) David Bruce asked if Mr Anstruther would introduce a Bill to make it legal for fishermen catch salmon in the open sea and land them. Mr Anstruther replied that would not promise without a moment’s reflection, but after receiving all definite information he could, the time might come to consider what legislation was necessary. A unanimous vote confidence in Mr Anstruther was carried.


OPENING INTIMATION. GEORGE DICK, having taken over the NET FACTORY, so long carried on by the firm of Sharp and Murray, begs to inform MERCHANTS and FISHERMEN that he intends to Manufacture all kinds of Fishing Nets from the Best Quality of Cotton. Having been Manager of this Factory for over 28 years, he trusts to merit a Share of the Patronage so long bestowed upon his Predecessors. Cellardyke, 30th August 1892

Fatal Fall from a Railway Train.—Andrew Craig Dewar, aged seven, son of Jessie Dewar, Shore Street, Cellardyke, met with shocking accident on the Dundee and Arbroath Railway Wednesday. The child was travelling with his mother from Aberdeen to Anstruther on the express leaving Aberdeen at 3.30 p.m. About 5.25 when the train was travelling at full speed between Barry and Monifieth, the door of the compartment burst open, and the boy, who was leaning against it, was precipitated from the carriage. Communication with the guard and driver was made by those in the carriage, and the train was brought to a standstill a few hundred yards beyond Monifieth Station, where the mother alighted and was shown every kindness by the railway officials. Men were promptly despatched to search the line, and the officials at Carnoustie were apprised of what had happened. A look-out man was posted on the 5.5 train from Arbroath when it stopped at Carnoustie, and the driver was instructed to proceed slowly, to keep a sharp look-out. When near the Review Platform the boy Dewar was observed lying in the 6-foot way. The train was stopped, and the boy, who was in an unconscious condition and apparently seriously injured, was lifted into the guard’s van. Among the passengers by the train was Dr Davidson, Belfast, who is presently residing in Arbroath, and on being informed of the occurrence the doctor attended to the boy till the train reached Dundee. Here the ambulance van was waiting, and Dewar was removed to the Infirmary, where on examination it was discovered that his skull had been fractured in two places, and that had been hurt internally. He succumbed soon after.

The Liners

The “Anster Fair,” launched the other week and taken to Leith to have the engines inserted, returned on Tuesday. While entering between the two piers the carpenter in charge had to steer past a boat, but the vessel swung right into the west pier stem on, and afterwards struck the east pier in their attempt to proceed. The noise of the blow was heard some distance, and she must have sustained a severe shook, but notwithstanding that she sailed with the same tide for Fidra for ballast. The other two liners will shortly be manned by their former crews. Skipper Marr, who has carried the ” Maggie Lauder ” through the summer, has done fairly well, and last week grossed upwards of £9O for two hauls. The ” Puffin,” hired by Skipper Jack, left for the fishing at Scarborough. The ” Edith,” bought three months ago by Skipper Birrell is presently at Aberdeen, where new boilers are being inserted. The trawler ” Faith,” built by Stephen Williamson, Esq., MP., returned to Aberdeen from the Faroe Islands, where she had been fishing with great lines. The time thus employed has been the most remunerative yet experienced by them. Mr Williamson, who visited the vessel, invited the crew to dinner, when, along with several friends, he did the honours at the table.


The Outbreak of Typhoid Fever – There have been a few more new cases of typhoid fever this past week both in Anstruther and Cellardyke. A proposal has been made that the water and milk used in the burghs should be analysed by a specialist.


CELLARDYKE FISHERMAN DROWNED. Yesterday forenoon a telegram from Leven announced the sad tidings that Thomas Pringle, Cellardyke, had been drowned off Leven. The unfortunate young man was one of the crew of the Onyx, Skipper Robert Meldrum, and left Anstruther about 3 a.m., with the intention of beaching the Onyx in Leven Dock for the winter. He was about thirty years of age, and engaged to be married in a fortnight.

The Fishing Industry in South Australia – The following paragraph is taken from a Geelong newspaper, of the end of June last. The Captain mentioned is Mr Cunningham, late of Cellardyke: ‘ The deep sea fishing cutter “Scotsman” arrived early yesterday at North Geelong front a hard and deep sea fishing trip having experienced some very severe weather during the cruise The ‘ Scotsman’ proved a splendid sea boat in the trying weather in the Straits. Captain Cunningham reports strong easterly and north-westerly in the south west entrance of the Bass Straits, trails. In his opinion the deep sea fish strike to deep water according to storms and seasons. For the information of those interested the Captain states that deep sea fishing crafts should be about 30 tons reg. and able to keep the sea in all weathers, the special qualifications required being speed, adaptability and worthiness, for which the Captain holds the prize medal of Norwich exhibition 1881. The fishermen engaged in the trade should moreover be trained to this hazardous work when very young. Victoria waters furnish large scope for deep sea fishing, but he believes that if the Government would be at the expense of building suitable deep sea boats and entrust these to experienced captains, coat of construction to be repaid without interest, and encourage the colonial youth to become apprentices, the deep sea fishing industry would be very soon on a sound footing.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *