The Cellardyke Echo – 9/5/24 – Issue 441

1885

On Tuesday morning an act of cruel vandalism was discovered at the fine shop being fitted up by Provost Skinner in the west end of Cellardyke —the frame of the plate glass windows being cut and destroyed, seemingly by a hatchet used over night with no sparing hand. In the course of Saturday night some party, actuated by the same cowardly spirit, lifted a superior drill plough, belonging to Mr Cairns of Kilrenny Mill, and threw it over the steep brae or bank at the Golden Strand, where it lay broken to pieces. The police are said to be in the secret of both crimes.

1886

James Keith, a fish cadger from Cellardyke, was fined 2s 6d, with 14s of expenses, for having driven his cart on the road between Newport and St Michael’s without anyone to guide it, he himself as evidence showed, lying asleep io the bottom.

1887

When the water is introduced into Anstruther, a charge will likely be imposed on the Cellardyke fishermen for taking the water from Anstruther wells, and it will only be fair and just that this should be done, since the two communities are to have two separate supplies.

New Improvement on Fishermen’s Overalls . ln addition to the two patents, which Messrs Duncan & Black, Cellardyke, hare taken out for buoys and sea boots, and which have proved a decided advantage to the fishing community throughout Scotland, they have just secured a registered design for the improvement of fishermen’s brooks. Formerly it has always been a complaint by the fishermen that when hauling their lines or nets in stormy weather, they are often drenched into the skin by the water getting in at the side of the trousers. Owing to the construction of the flap, water is admitted freely, and in order to obviate this Messrs Duncan & Black have put on what they term ” flap-guards,” that is a piece of cloth sewed in at the sides, and when the brooks are buttoned up these guards are so placed that any sea water striking a fisherman will at once run off, and thus keep their inside clothes thoroughly dry. The brooks have now been appropriately named ” Keep-me dry,” and a number of fishermen, who have seen them, have given orders for them, and speak highly of the advantages that will accrue to their class by wearing them

1888

Lifeboat Demonstration – Saturday was a gala day at Anstruther, the occasion being the handing over of a new lifeboat which has just been presented by Mrs Howard, of Cheltenham, in lieu of the “Fitzroy,” which was presented to the town some years ago by Miss H. Harvey, whose other gifts to the town at the same time are well remembered. In order to make the acknowledgment of the gift as attractive as possible, an interesting programme of the arrangements was drawn out and publicly notified in the district a fortnight previous, which, backed with fair weather during the afternoon (although the morning was wet and threatening), resulted in one of the largest gatherings, to witness the event in the vicinity of Anstruther harbour, that has been seen here for many years, large numbers being from the adjoining towns in the district. Owing, however, to the absence of number the boats belonging to the district being, engaged at the fishing at other ports, and number of those fishing in the locality having been late in getting away in the first of the week, which prevented their return in time for the ceremony, the attendance the fishermen was not by far so large as would have been. From several prominent positions in the vicinity of the harbour, and throughout the town, as also from the few craft in the harbour itself, bunting was profusely displayed. Shortly before a quarter to three o’clock, the hour fixed for the proceedings to commence (by which time the piers and foreshore around and near to the lifeboat house on the mid pier were crowded), the party selected to carry out the programme, together with the Magistrates and Councillors of the Burgh, and the Provost and Magistrates of the adjoining burghs, the Harbour Commissioners, and Lifeboat Committee, together with Captain Beddoes, R.N., representative of the National Lifeboat Institution, London, &c., assembled in front of the lifeboat shed, when Provost Dairsie, chairman of the Committee, was called upon to preside, who briefly referred to the auspicious occasion, eulogizing on the Christian spirit of the donor of such a gift, which, he trusted, would fulfil all that was required of it on whatever occasion it might be called out in the rescue of the lives of our fellow beings. The Rev. Gabriel Smith, of the U.P. Church (senior minister in the burgh), then offered the dedicatory prayer, followed by a choir, under the leadership of Mr J. Hepburn, singing the hymn, ” Eternal Father, strong to save,” the whole company joining them, which had an imposing effect. Captain Beddoes, after addressing the company, impressing one and all to take a lively interest in the management and maintenance of the boat, and also in that noble Institution which he had honour of representing, an Institution that had done so much for the welfare of their seafaring population, and had been the means of saving many thousands of their fellow beings from a watery grave, said he had now much pleasure in handing over the boat to the charge of the Society in the district. (Great cheering.) Provost Martin, Cellardyke, acknowledged the gift on behalf of the Society. The boat having been made ready for launching, Miss Douglas Irvine, aged 14 years, daughter of Walter Douglas Irvine, Esq., of Grangemuir, then stepped forward, and performed the usual ceremony of christening the boat “The Royal Stuart,” which was then duly launched amidst the deafening cheers the onlookers. The self-righting qualities of the boat were then tested, the boat being turned over in the harbour by the aid of a crane on the pier, which was soon accomplished, and the amazingly short period she took in righting herself was surprising to all. The crew then went on board, and exercised her in various ways, all of which gave entire satisfaction. Sail was then set, and the boat taken out a distance to sea, crew, on their arrival, testifying to the excellent capabilities of the craft. As a further and interesting addition to the proceedings, by the kind permission of the Board of Trade, to whom application was made, the Rocket Brigade, from Elie, with their apparatus, gave a most enjoyable exhibition of the working of this lifesaving means. The apparatus being stationed on the mid pier, near to the steamboat shed, signal rockets were set off. From this point to a flag on a post on the parapet of the east pier, placed as mark, the rocket, with line attached, was fixed, and with so direct aim, which was loudly applauded, that the line fell close to the flag, while the missile went a considerable distance over the outer side the pier into the water. The main line, having been attached, was pulled across the harbour and made fast, and the cradle, with one of the members of the coastguard, who suffered a good ducking on his way, drawn over. The short time that this performance took place surprising, and shows the ready assistance which can now be rendered in such perilous occasions as shipwrecks. This rocket apparatus exhibition over, and the return of the lifeboat, which was smartly drawn -up from the water, closed the afternoon’s proceedings, which were throughout enjoyable, and the large company dispersed. One great drawback was the want of instrumental music to vary the programme. The boat, we may mention, is about 3 feet longer than the old one, and fitted out with every available and necessary appurtenances.

The crew of the Cellardyke boat Maggie Reid had an exciting adventure at sea. While the gale was raging like a whirlwind the big mast snapped by the deck. ‘God be praised’ might well rise on thankful lips for the escape of boat and crew, but as recovery of the spar was the one chance of regaining the land it was anxiously watched by skipper Henderson and his crew, till the storm was so far spent that they were able to hoist it on board. A carpenter and his told were needed, but like the old fathers of Cellardyke, who, when cast away on a desert island, built a boat from the wreck of their ship, and so escaped to a friendly port, the crew in this case, with no better implement than the steerage axe, so fashioned the broken mast to the step that they once again set sail to reach their own firesides on Sabbath.

1889

Fisherman Drowned. — The Cellardyke boat Glenroy landed at St Andrews on Monday and reported that one of the crew, named James Boyter, had been drowned early in the morning whilst fishing twenty-three miles east of the Bell Rock

APPEAL.—The ladies and others associated in the Cellardyke soup kitchen met in the Council Room, on Saturday afternoon, to receive the report of Treasurer Thomson. It appears that in the biweekly relief between the 8th February and the 19th March, there had been 1428 free rations of soup and bread, at a cost of twopence each. 906 had been sold at a penny or half-penny below prime cost. The donations and sales, the report went on to say, amounted to £17 8s, or ½ d less than the expenditure. Provost Martin, who was in the chair, thanked the ladies for the sacrifice they had made from week to week in this labour of love. A very appreciative reference was also made to the services of Treasurer Thomson, when the meeting closed with the usual compliment to the chair.

Do you enjoy and follow the Cellardyke Echo and the work of the Cellardyke Trust?

There are costs behind everything we do, such as, Web hosting fees for this website which provides the weekly Cellardyke Echo and all the other info and research. Public Liability Insurance for our events such as the Sea Queen and the Phone Boxes. These are general operating costs which we cannot avoid.

If you are able to support the work of the Cellardyke Trust – Donations of any size would be gratefully received .

Our Account is called “The Cellardyke Trust (SCIO)”, Sort Code 83-15-08 – Acc No 00128815

Many Thanks

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *