The Cellardyke Echo – 16/05/2024 – Issue 442

1910

WANTED BOY to attend Cows. Apply SMITH, Dairy, Cellardyke.

LOCAL DRIFTER IN COLLISION OFF ST ABBS HEAD. A thick fog prevailed at sea at an early hour on Tuesday morning, and the navigation of vessels was very much hampered on this account. The drifter Glencona of South Shields, which has been hired by a Cellardyke crew under skipper Alexander Wood for the ensuing herring fishing, was on her way from Shields to Anstruther to get on board the gear, etc. The vessel had reached off St Abbs Head when a large trading steamer, which turned out to be the Dwina, of Leith, crashed into them, striking the Glaucous with considerable force on the starboard bow, smashing the upper part of the stem and the planking. Fortunately the damage was above the water line, and the Glencona steamed for Anstruther, arriving in the early morning. The Dwina was apparently undamaged and proceeded on her voyage. The drifter has been surveyed, and will have to be repaired before she leaves for the fishing.

1912

To be Sold by Public Roup on SATURDAY, the 4th May 1912, at WEST PIER, ANSTRUTHER, the SAILING BOAT “TRIAD,” belonging to Mr William Smith, Cellardyke, as she lies on the West Beach. The appurtenances, which will be sold separately, consist of:- Foresail, Mizzen, Gib, Foremast and Mizzen Mast, Beccles Steam Capstan and Boiler (the boiler is in good condition, about 3 years old), Tow Rope, Ropes, Blocks, Anchors, Chains, etc. Sale to commence at 2 o’clock afternoon. Terms – Cash –  WM. S. BONTHRON, Auctioneer.

2 fat pigs for sale, apply 23 John Street, Cellardyke

CELLARDYKE – ANOTHER ADDITION TO THE DRIFTER FLEET.— A comparatively new drifter arrived in Anstruther last Friday to the order of Skipper James Muir, Cellardyke. The Camperdown came from the Moray Firth, where she was built and fully equipped for carrying small branches of the fishing industry. The cost second hand was less than £2000. A considerable number of those interested visited the drifter at the west pier, and admired the model.

1913

DRESSMAKING —Experienced hand or improver wanted immediately. Apply MRS WATSON, 6o James Street, Cellardyke.

A BRILLIANT BUSINESS CAREER. We have received a copy of the Binghamton Press of May 2nd which contains a page account of the 32nd anniversary of the firm of Messrs Fowler, Dick, and Walker. It is illustrated by photographs of the large new premises erected, and of the head of the firm, Mr George Fowler, a native of Cellardyke. Mr Fowler is a son of the late Mr George Fowler, fisherman, and a cousin of Mr R. A. Fowler, grocer, Cellardyke. He sorted his apprenticeship with the firm of Sharp and Murray, general merchants, Cellardyke, atter which he emigrated to the United States, where he has been very successful. The following extracts from the Binghamton Press will doubtless interest a considerable number of our readers in Cellardyke, many of whom will remember Mr Fowler, and who will welcome the details of his successful business: —

“The opening of the new Boston Store last evening was a triumph. For four hours thousands of men women and children trooped through the three entrances thronged the wide aisles and feasted their eyes on the magnificent spectacle that had been prepared in honour of the event. The store is the fruition of a lifetime of vigorous effort. The assemblage of people was a tribute to one of the men who have made Binghamton—George Fowler.

Every employee of the great establishment shared in the honours of the evening, from the newest “bundle boy” to the men who, under Mr Fowler, bear the brunt of the active management—Archibald Whitelaw and Archibald MacArthur.

From Wilkesbarre came William MacWilliam in former years manager -of the Binghamton store, and now of the firm in the coal city, and with him was hie associate there, Mr Burnside. They too, shared in the congratulations that were showered on the men whose energy and and sagacity have made the Boston Store the magnificent success that it is today.

32 YEARS OF GROWTH.

The firm of Fowler, Dick & Walker founded their Binghamton store 32 years ago, locating next to the corner of Court and Chenango streets.

Beginning with very small capital and with only six clerks, but with a vast amount of pluck, perseverance, energy, good judgment and executive capacity, the members of this firm, gradually, but surely, broadened their scheme of operation, until they had built a substantial foundation for their present extensive business. The firm remained only a year at the Court Street stand, removing to Washington Street, where the establishment served a constantly growing patronage for 18 years, each year to some extent enlarging their lines of stock.

During the last 18 years the store at Wart and Water streets has been the seat of an enormous volume of basin-es. New departments have, from time to time, been added and old ones extended to fill the demands made by the city’s growth and the Boston Store’s constantly growing patronage.

Last June Mr Fowler decided to make the large addition just completed, to improve all departments and general system under which the business is conducted. New ideas have from time to time, during the process of the work, been considered and evolved all helping to give the store its present metropolitan character and magnitude.

Always ready to listen to the suggestions of his employees and to act upon them whenever they seemed practical, Mr Fowler has been able to keep alive the interest of his responsible assistants, and with their help to work out many improvements in the various departments in so incredibly short time.

Probably one of the most Important elements in the success of Fowler, Dick & Walker has been their readiness to engage their employees to profit by the firm’s prosperity. It is a common occurrence for a worthy employee to rise from the ranks of clerkship to a responsible and remunerative position The helpers are always considered when improvements are made to the firm’s buildings or brought about in the arrangements of departments, or in the methods of operation. In consequence of this practice there is a spirit of mutual interest which benefits employers and employees, while it helps the growth of business.

1914

KILRENNY SCHOOL BOARD SALARIES. In view of the retiral of Mr Barbour, head teacher, Cellardyke, at the close the session at the age limit, and of Mr Macfarlane, assistant, who leaves for China, the Board; agreed that the succeeding head teacher commence with salary of £200, rising in five’ years to £250 at rate of £10 annually, and the assistant commence at £110, rising to £130 the rate of £5 annually.

Do you enjoy and follow the Cellardyke Echo and the work of the Cellardyke Trust?

There are costs behind everything we do, such as, Web hosting fees for this website which provides the weekly Cellardyke Echo and all the other info and research. Public Liability Insurance for our events such as the Sea Queen and the Phone Boxes. These are general operating costs which we cannot avoid.

If you are able to support the work of the Cellardyke Trust – Donations of any size would be gratefully received.

Our Account is called “The Cellardyke Trust (SCIO)”, Sort Code 83-15-08 – Acc No 00128815

Many Thanks

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *