Cellardyke Boatbuilders

John Alexander Millar

Photo of John A Millar from Harry MacAnespie

John Alexander Millar was perhaps the most lauded boat builder of his generation in the East Neuk with his vessels being described as fast, “clipper like” and safe. He was innovative, introducing carvel build for the first time to the East Neuk fishing fleet, and safety measures like raised bulkwarks, stanchions and chains. The comfortable cabins for the crew and fit out of the vessels were also frequently praised. He built about 100 vessels in a 40 year career with most of them being the largest class of sailing fishing vessels required for each generation

His achievements were mainly before the photographers found the East Neuk an excellent subject. Local amateur historians have tended to concentrate on the 20th Century, and as John A Millar’s heyday was the 1870’s -1880’s, his yard at West Anstruther had disappeared totally, he has been forgotten. I was amazed when I discovered he was building two fifty foot boats at the esplanade at West Anstruther simultaneously. It took some time to find the evidence of his shed, ( photos appear later on in this page)

Boat building was a precarious business model, subject to the rollercoaster of the fishing seasons and markets, he suffered bankruptcy twice, but his reputation and tenacious belief in his trade, brought him back.

About the time his business failed for a second time the herring industry also began to fail in the East Neuk and merchants invested in steam line fishing vessels, William Jarvis who operated the yard next to the Lifeboat shed in Anstruther was set up to fulfil this demand and from 1891 for 9 years until his retiral built successful steam line fishing vessels. John A Millar’s innovative skils were obviously recognised along with the practical quality of his work, he became foreman and draughtsman for Jarvis during this of steam line fishing epoch.

I only came across John A Millar when researching my house, and Andrew Henderson. One of the most successful steam line skippers, who, when the herring markets came on again left his employers and invested in his own vessel, the Ina Cook, Built by John A Millar in 1900. John A, had also built his uncle’s vessel the Maggie Reid KY1632 in 1879 which Andrew had skippered in the early stages of his career. I realised that this man was hardly mentioned in publications and deserved to have his profile raised again, and this started off all my research in to the East Neuk Boatbuilders. – Richard Wemyss

1843 – 14th January – John Alexander Millar was born in Montrose to Thomas Millar and Elizabeth Millar Nee Reid

1865 – 14th July , J A Millar marries Margaret Ross in Montrose, He is listed as 22 years old, boat builder. His father Thomas Millar, Blacksmith (deceased) and his mother Elizabeth Reid. Her Father was David Ross, a mason (deceased, born 1803 Benholm) and her Mother Jane Norrie (born 1807 Montrose), undistinguishable maiden name. His usual address at that time is 60 High Street, Renfrew.


1867/68 -John Millar takes over the land formerly occupied by William Jack boat-builder at the East End of Cellardyke, It seems to have been lying unoccupied for approximately a year. This piece of land is rented from George Watson.

The boat-building yard of Alexander Cunningham occupies the other part of this land owned by Robert Christie

1868 – 11th September -the first recorded mention of him building a boat – His work is innovative taking on some of the best aspects of traditional vessels from different areas.

A smart staunch looking fishing vessel, on an entirely new principle has just been completed by Mr John Millar, boat builder Cellardyke, for Captain MacDougal, North Shields. She is a decked craft of the following dimensions; – 45feet long on the keel, 48 feet over all, 14 feet across the bilge (her broadest part) and 8 feet depth of hold; her measurement being 21 tons register. The vessel we understand, has been designed by and built under the direction of Captain MacDougal himself, who intends to employ her in the fishing according to the season on the coast of Northumberland. She has the long graceful lines and general outline of the Firth Fishing boats, but she differs essentially from them having her greatest breadth not as in their case at the gunwale or beam but at the bilge. We cannot give a better idea of this than stating that an ordinary fishing boat of the same length as the new vessel would measure fully three feet more over the gunwale, but rather less over the bilge. According to a well-known principle the somewhat cylindrical form which has been given to the hull will add much to its buoyancy, and enable the ship to stand up well to her canvas in a breeze of wind. The principle has indeed much to recommend it, although most of the ‘old salts’ may be disposed to favour that description of craft as being at once the most safe and weatherly, which, in many familiar phrase ‘keeps the gunwale’ the safety of the crew- who will be eight in number- when working the ship, is so far provided for by means of a low bulwark, while their comfort will be fully secured in two roomy cabins which have been fitted up as sleeping berths. She is to be smack rigged, with a jigger abaft, and by an ingenious contrivance the main mast can be lowered away in order that the vessel may ride easier in rough weather, or when lying at her nets. Altogether she is an exceedingly trim and yacht like craft, and appearances are much belied if she does not, when properly handled, prove a right fast and trusty sea boat. No expense appears to have been spared to make her as complete as possible, and both in point of material and workmanship, she reflects the highest credit on her promising builder, Mr Millar. She is so well advanced that she is expected to be ready for sea in a few days. We hope that she is destined to yield the highest satisfaction to her spirited and amiable owner, Captain MacDougal, and the success of this experiment may encourage him to extend speculation. Captain MacDougal who belongs to an old Anstruther family, has long and successfully held the command of foreign going ships of large tonnage, but we understand that he is now in the position to retire from the active duties of his profession, and betake himself as in this case to those enterprises, which at once afford employment and pleasure to minds habituated to activity and usefulness.

1869 – he is adverstising a 19ft yawl and 15ft 6′ ships boat for sale

1871 – Census he is described as a Master boatbuilder employing 3 men and 2 boys, living in the lower street of the East End of Cellardyke.

1872 – April – John A Millar joins the new ‘Thistle Lodge of Oddfellows of Anstruther” and is elected the Most Noble Grand Master – May – he is advertising for an apprentice boatbuilder. December he is listed as a member of the Masonic Lodge St Ayles No 95 at their AGM.

This early image of boatbuilding at the East End of Cellardyke, has long been reputed to be Cunningham’s yard, however I’d argue that it is John A Millar at the bottom of the ladder

1874 – John A Millar – Introduces carvel building to the East Neuk. He builds a 45ft Carvel built vessel for Skipper Alex Keay., who had also considered a dandy rig, but stayed with the traditional dipping and standing lug so favoured by the Cellardyke men. – Later that year he advertises for two more apprentices.

Here we have the first experiment in an East Neuk boat of the carvel build – that is with the planks close and caulked as in the case of a ship, instead of being ‘doubled over’ as you may see in an ordinary fishing boat – a system which some have long advocated for its superior strength and durability, as well as a certain advantage when under canvas over the ‘Clinker’ built boats in which the hardy mariners have from time immemorial reaped the harvest of the sea. A glance will satisfy the nautical eye that the new craft has been designed on the most approved principles of construction, a problem which by the way, is never so difficult to solve as in the case of a fishing boat from the different and almost inconsistent points which most unite in her limited dimensions. For instance, the yacht is built for speed, the trader for stowage, but the fisher must have a craft which will sail with the one and carry with the other, or in other words, those rare qualities for which our Cellardyke boats have always been unmatched, though by universal consent, these have never been more successfully combined than in our graceful model now under our review. When Mr Millar planted his building yard on the shores of the Forth, he entered the lists we may say against perhaps the most eminent draughtsmen of fishing craft on the East Coast of Scotland; but from the first he showed that he ‘held the key’ in his hand, and his success in applying it has long classed his boats amongst the leading favourites of the fleet. The new boat is just an example in point, for here you have the long sharp lines offering the least possible resistance to the ‘briny waves’  with the gracefully out spreading floor, which, to borrow a significant sea phrase, gives you a craft as ‘stiff as a church’ that is , will carry sail, or as a horse jockey would say ‘ will keep her feet’ in any weather, when others would be lying on their beam ends or left under clipped wings far on the lee; but this is not all, seeing the capacity or ‘room’ as our fishers term it, is every day becoming more and more indispensable from the extra sea gear, in the shape of both lines and nets, required in the progress of the fishing. …….. Fife Herald

1876 – Although launches and specific vessels have not been mentioned in the papers John A Millar seems to have been running a thriving businbess with 63 builds in ten years – – The herring season In Fife Shire …… Cellardyke, however is bravely supporting the enterprise and energy of the East Neuk with a splendid fleet of 165 boats, six of which indeed are chartered from other stations, but we may here observe as a suggestive index of the spirit of the place, that the resident boat builder, Mr John Millar, has in the course of the last ten years or so turned out no fewer than sixty three boats, upwards of one half of which are of the first class, and like the famous clippers of the Delaware, may in no partial phrase be named the sea belles of the shore, Six of these craft, we may further remark are now on the favourite principle of the carvel build…. Fife Herald.

1876 – Bankruptcy proceedings are taken out against Millar, the main creditor being John Philip of Lasswad , wood merchant. It seems that Millar’s yard had failed six years previously but he had been bailed out by Philip, taking a Trust deed, but debts continued to build and Philip pulled the plug in 1876

7th April -BOATBUILDING YARD AT CELLARDYKE TO BE LET To be LET, on Lease for Four Years and a half, from Whitsunday first,

THE BOAT-BUILDING PREMISES, situated near the Harbour of Cellardyke, presently occupied by Mr John A. Millar. The Building, shed, and Fittings, Saw Mill with Engine, and Plant, may be taken at a Valuation . Further information may be obtained from Mr John Philip, Polton East mains Lasswade, or at his office Junction Street Leith, or David Cook Solicitor Anstruther, with either of whom Offers may be lodged on or before the 1st May next, Anstruther 4th April 1876

8th June – John A Millar launches a 45ft, carvel, vessel called ” Island of May” for Alexander and James Cunningham, of Cellardyke and is rumoured to be negotiatiing a contract for a yacht.

The bankruptcy cases continue and all his equipment is sold – the following advert illustrates the tools and equipment used by a mid 19th c boatbuilder


To be SOLD by Public Auction on SATURDAY the 17th instant, THE WHOLE of the REMAINING STOCK. of MATERIAL and PLANT belonging to the Trust Estate of Mr John A. Millar, Boatbuilder, Cellardyke, consisting of Spars for Masts and Oars and other useful wood: – The Plant consists of Steam Engine (Four Horse Power), with Upright Boiler easily removed; 2 Circular Sew Benches; 1 Vertical Saw for Cutting Circles, with Shafting and Belts and other fittings, all in good working order; the Sheds in which these are situated; Turning Lathe, 5in. Heads, Small Pump. Cramps, Vice,  and tongs, one Large and one Small Shed capable of holding the Largest Sized Boat; upwards of 16 cwt of Nails, suitable for Boat-building; Wheel Barrow ; Grinding Stone; and Sundries.

The Sale to commence at Mr Miller’s yard in Cellardyke at One o’clock Afternoon. – James Bowman. Auctioneer, Anstruther 6th June 1876

27th October – Bankruptcy Examination – John Alexander Millar, Boat Builder Cellardyke,  was examined in bankruptcy before Sherriff Bell yesterday, The Bankrupt’s liabilities are stated at £560 and his assets at £102 14s 4d . After Examination by Mr Johnston, agent for the creditors the statutory oath was administered.

All debts and legal formalities must have been completed according to the law, as in 1877 John A Miller restarts his buisiness in West Anstruther.


Photo of a yacht provided along with family photos of John A Millar, this is not Boothby’s yacht it’s too small but may be another Millar build. from Harry MacAnespie

1877 – January- John A Millar now resident in West Anstruther rents the Esplanade from West Anstruther town council for £5 per year

April – Millar launches a ketch rigged fishing boat with high bulwarks for George Watson of Cellardyke, at 47 feet x 17ft . Named Advance she was slightly larger than the standard fishing vessel of the period, unusually she has two cabins, one forward for five of a crew and one aft for skipper and mate. With this change of rig and bulwarks the board of trade insisted that she was regisitered not only as a fishing vessel but also as a ship.. Skipper John Pratt placed an order for a similar vessel with no bulwark.

June- John Pratt’s vessel, Cedric the Saxon, is launched and Millar wins an order for a yacht

August – The Gipsey, a 36ft yacht is launched from West Anstruther pier for Major Boothby of St Andrews.

September – an accident happens in the yard when a spar being worked on fell onto a six year old child playing in a small vessel with Millar’s children. The Doctor was called in and it was thought that she would make a full recovery, one of Millar’s children was grazed by the falling batten.

1878 – February – Millar gets a permission to create a small launching slip on the condition he returns the pier to its original condition if required.

The gable end of Millar’s shed can be seen in this photo
Millar’s shed can be seen on the pier
Millar’s shed in the centre with a chimney presumably for the steam box or a steam powered sawmill

February – Millar launches a 48 1/2 ft boat for for James Smith (Brown) of Cellardyke. It was the largest fishing vessel built in the East Neuk for several years, another vessel is near completion

June on the launch of John Salter’s vessel, it was reported that it was the 7th fishing vessel launched that season by Millar.

November John A Millar is elected to West Anstruther Town Council.

1879 – Millar adverstises a 48ft vessel for sale probably built on spec after such a sucessful previous year, with the need to keep his skilled workforce employed.

1880 – June- it’s reported Millar had launched 7 first class fishing vessels in 12 months, 4 for Cellardyke, 3 for outwith the area. Description of the build of the Elizabeth – Over fifty feet in length, and measuring rather more that five-and-thirty tons, she is larger by some five tons than the crack clippers of Cellardyke, on the lines and principles of which, however, she has been ‘constructed to the last detail. Thus the paint brush has been employed as in a yacht for a summer cruise; but the idea in question has its best embodiments in the interior fittings, where we find the spacious hold cut up into some six or eight compartments as fish holds for stowing away the cargo as the name implies in due position and order, ample berthage being also left for sea gear, whether in the shape of net or line. We notice, however, one salient difference in her outfit, instead of the machine known as the iron man, she is kitted, as in the case of the fishing smacks in the Channel, with the patent capstan from Mounds Bay Foundry. Worked either by bar or handle, it seems admirably suited for fishing craft, and not the less so as by an ingenious arrangement it can be turned down on the deck when not in use, so as to be out of the way when the boat is ender sail. Like the boats which our Anstruther building yard has sent of late to Arbroath and Ferryden, this new craft marks a new era in the fishing enterprise in the East Coast of Scotland, where the sea-faring Inhabitants are starting as if from the sleep of ages—that is, are casting aside the antiquated customs and habits of their fathers in order to share in the ever opening treasures which lie to the hand of industry and skill at their very doors. Councillor Millar as usual equips the boat to the last item in the seagoing inventory, by which, by the way, the tidy little sum of £300 finds its way into the pockets of the trades and tradesmen of the vicinity. The launch took place at high water on Thursday, when the interesting occasion, with the beautiful day, crowded the shore with spectators, who rent the air with their deafening buzzes as the beautiful craft sent the crystal water of the Dreel sparkling like a thousand pearls in the sunshine as she dashed into her destined element. She is christened the “Elisabeth,” and is to be employed by her spirited owner, Mr Cormack, in the various phases of the deep sea fishery, opened up in the circling year.

1881 – John with his wife 7 children and 16 year old Jessie Storm are living at Finella, Shore Rd, West Anstruther

John exhibits at the International Fisheries Exhibition in Norwich. The newspaper report alos contains the first mention of his foreman, Alexander Thomson – Mr John Millar, boatbuilder, West Anstruther, also sends a model of a steam fishing boat, showing clean and beautiful lines, and is constructed after a plan which, if steam comes to in use, will undoubtedly prove of signal advantage. Mr Alex. Thomson, foreman to Mr Millar, is also to exhibit the model of one of the ordinary large fishing boats in use in this quarter, which is said to be an excellent specimen of practical boatbuilding and neat workmanship – East of Fife Record

May, – James Robb, aged about three years, son of Alexander Robb, ship-carpenter, who lived near the harbour, had got into the water probably down the slipway and got beyond his depth. The unfortunate child drowned

In August, Millar launches a 35 ft Yacht for Mr McKenzie ofr Glasgow, but in September there is a violent storm, lifting the boat building shed from it’s posts, destroying his steam sawmill and seriously damaging the yacht

Novemeber 1881 – Millar is re elected to West Anstruther Town Council unopposed

April 1882 – Millar once again exhibits a model at the International Fisheries Exhibition, this time it is held in Edinburgh. The model was a sailing fishing boat, but with raised bulwarks, Thomson also exhibits.

1883 – November – John A Millar is declared Bankrupt with liabilities of £946 17s 2d and , assets £641 13s 6d leaving a deficiency of £305 3s 8d.

1884 – January his family home is put up for sale with no offers

March – He launches the Speedwell for Thomas Taylor of Pittenweem

1885 – There is the potential order for a schooner yacht but no confirmation

1886 – Jarvis and John A Millar are listed as boatbuilders in Slater’s Almanac.

1887-1892 – John A Millar is master of Lodge St Ayles – still living in West Anstruther

1887 – John Millar advertises, 12ft boats for sale.

1889 – He tries to rent a shed on Anstruther Middle pier to store tools and do repairs, but is refused , he is offered one on the West Pier. – His old shed at West Anstruther Pier is let to Mr Kirkcaldy of the Comercial Hotel. He tenders for work at Pittenweem harbour, but loses out.

1890 – The old smithy in East Green, Anstruther he has been renting is put up for let.

1891 – William Jarvis wins an order to build his first Steam Liner, the Maggie Lauder, John A Millar is working as his draughtsman and foreman.

1892– Millar builds the Peace KY 530 at West Anstruther Pier this 20ft vessel is the last I have recorded being built solely by him in Anstruther.

1899 – Jarvis retires, the business bought over by Millers of St Monans, and John A Millar decides to set up in business again, after discharging all his debt, this time in Arbroath.

Mr. John Millar, shipbuilder, Anstruther who for many years carried out on a boatbuilding business here, and for the past 9 years has acted as draftsman and foreman to Mr. Jarvis, is leaving the district shortly for Arbroath, where along with his son he intends to carry on the business of steamship and boatbuilding under the firm name of John Millar and son, and for that purpose has taken on a lease of the Arbroath shipbuilding yard. Mr. Millar has had a large and varied experience in the building of all classes of fishing boats and steam liners and his numerous friends and well wishers in this locality will wish him every success in this undertaking – East of Fife Record

He is presented with a departing gift from the lodge

27 December 1899

“During the evening the RWM presented PM John Millar with a handsome marble timepiece, subscribed for by the brethren on the occasion of his leaving Anstruther to commence business in Arbroath.  The timepiece bore the following inscription.  Presented to Bro J Millar PM by brethren of St Ayles No.95 as a mark of esteem on leaving Anstruther.  Also a silver teapot to Mrs Millar.

The RWM mentioned on presenting same a dew of Bro. Millar’s many excellent qualities and stated he was leaving nearly 30 years faithful serves to the lodge.   Bro Millar (unknown – looks like feelingly) replied with thanks to the brethren for gifts to Mrs Millar and himself.” from Lodge records


1900 – January – Messrs. John Millar and Sons Boat-builders who have taken over the yard formally occupied by Mr. Watson, have this week laid the keel of their first boat. The boat is being built for a Cellardyke fisherman, and will be engaged at the herring and haddock industry at Anstruther, it is 68ft in length.

May – Launch of a new fishing Boat – Boatbuilding in Arbroath has for a considerable time past been in a somewhat dormant state. A month or two ago, however an Anstruther firm leased the boat building yard beside the patent slip, and yesterday launched their first boat constructed in Arbroath. The boat in question is named the Ina Cook, and was built by Messrs John Millar and Son, boatbuilders, to the order of Mr Andrew Henderson, fisherman, Cellardyke. The boat is carvel built, and 68 feet long with a 20 foot beam. It is fitted with every modern improvement, and contains sufficient accommodation for the crew besides having every facility for the storage of fish. The boat is intended in the first instance for herring fishing operations, but will afterwards go in for white fishing. The boat took the water gracefully and as she left the slips she was christened by Miss Bella Millar, daughter of the builder, by the usual ceremony of breaking a bottle over the boat.

September he launches the Prestige for Adam Reid. Reid and Henderson were two of the most successful skippers in Cellardyke, it was testimony to his reputation that he was awarded contracts by these skippers.

1902 – No further orders seem to have been won, it is unknown why this is. 1902 was the beginning of the boom in large, 70ft, Fifie building in Fife. 1900 – 1901 may have just been too early, steam vessel orders had finished from the Fife yards as the market was tending back to sailing herring drifters and he possibly had no capital behind him to ride the dip in orders. Alternatively his health may have been failing, in his obituary in 1903 it states his health had been failing for some time. – In April the yard goes up for sale, all his equipment is auctioned in June

1903 18th November John A Millar dies of a stroke

J A Millar’s Gravestone in Rosehill Cemtry Montrose – Photo Harry MacAnespie

The LATE MR JOHN MILLAR.—Regret will be felt at the announcement made of the death of Mr John Millar, boatbuilder, Montrose, late of Anstruther, which event took place on Tuesday of last week. It was late in the end of last week ere his friends in Anstruther knew of his decease. While living in this district Mr Millar was well known. He was an expert boatbuilder, being especially good at draughtsmanship, and the many fishing boats constructed by him were always admired for their neatness of model and strength of build. While living in West Anstruther he served for several years on the Town Council, and took an active interest in the affairs of the district. Mr Millar was a keen member of the Masonic craft, and on leaving Anstruther for Arbroath in December 1899 was made the recipient of a handsome present from Lodge St Ayle. He was 60 years of age, and had been in poor health for some time. – East of Fife Record

The last boat J A Millar built, the Prestige was successfully fished by Adam Reid until he replaced it with the steam drifter the Guerdon- the vessel was sold to St Monans, and retained he name until an incident in WW1 when a U boat picked up the skipper, questioned and released him ( he gave false information) in order to protect the boat should it be spotted by the same U boat in future, they renamed it Coronilla, unfortaunately she burnt out at Anstruther in 1935. N.B the yard where he built in Arbroath was later taken over in 1949 by Gerrard’s another East Neuk Boatbuilder.

Boats known to have been built by John A Millar

  • Un-named Fishing Vessel – built 1868, 48ft x 14ft x 8ft -for Captain McDougal of North Shields – Smack Rigged – Yorkshire coble design
  • 19ft yawl – Built 1869
  • 15ft 6′ ships boat – Built 1869
  • Carvel Fishing Vessel – built 1874 – 45ft. for Skipper Alex Keay of Cellardyke. Lug Rigged – this is reported to be the first carvel fishing vessel built in the East Neuk.
  • 1876 – Millar is reported to have built 63 vessels in previous 10 years – more than half are first class vessels
  • Island of May – built 1876 – 45ft carvel build for Alexander and James Cunningham. Cellardyke
  • Advance – built 1877- 47 x 17ft for George Watson, Cellardyke, Ketch rigged with raised bullwarks
  • Cedric The Saxon – built 1877- 47 x 17ft for John Pratt Cellardyke, same hull shape as Advance but no raised bullwark
  • Unnamed – built Feb 1878 – 48 1/2 ft for James Smith (Brown)
  • Unnamed – built May 1878 – 46 1/2 ft for John Wilson (Strachan)
  • Unnamed – built June 1878 – 47ft for John Salter
  • Unnamed – built June 1878 – 48 ft for James Muir
  • Unnamed – built June 1878 – 12 ft rowing vessel for the Laird of Tarvit
  • Unnamed – built July 1878 – 48 ft for Skipper Davidson & sons
  • Cyprus– built September 1878 – 48 ft for John Watson (Lyall)
  • Hebe KY610 – built 1879 -for David Wood (Birrell)
  • Unnamed – built March 1879 – advertised for sale
  • Unnamed – built April 1879 – for St Andrews
  • Maggie Reid KY1632 – built May 1879 – 45ft keel – for Daniel Henderson, 38 West Forth Street, Cellardyke
  • Guiding Star KY1632 – built January 1880 – 49ft 8inches – for John Boyter and George Ritchie, Cellardyke
  • Annie Williamson KY1703 – built April 1880 – 47ft – for John Carstairs and Alex Birrell – Named after the MP Stephen Williamson’s wife
  • Annie Johnson ME 535 – built April 1880 – 50ft x 16ft – for John Pratt and son’s Ferryden costing over £300
  • Olive Branch – May 1880 – 47ft – for Thomas Smith Cellardyke
  • Maggie AH 20 – May 1880 – over 50ft – for Alexander Beattie fore sail containing 250yards of material 40 more yards than usual for a craft of her size
  • Elisabeth – June 1880 – 50ft for George Cormack of Torry, Aberdeen
  • Maggie Brown KY1822 – 6th September 1880 – for Robert Davidson, Cellardyke
  • Good Design KY1826 – 8th September 1880 – For James Smith (Watson) Cellardyke
  • Live in Unity INS 3265 – Dec 1880 – 52ft – For Alexander Main ( Skipper John Main, ‘Bunker’ )- Nairn – Foresail 240 yards, Mizzen 110 yards, big jib 100yards and small jib, 40 yards; Fited with stanchions and safety chains
  • Pride o’ Fife – 14th May 1881 – 50ft – for John Salter Cellardyke
  • Lady of The Lake KY1938 – 17th May 1881 – 50ft – for Alexander Davidson – Cellardyke
  • Unnamed Yacht – August 1881 – 35ft for Mr Mackenzie Glasgow
  • Agnes Brown – Feb 1882 – 52ft 4 inches for James Smith (Brown), Cellardyke
  • Maggie Scott – March 1882 – 50ft – for John Gardner, Cellardyke
  • The Brothers ME612– April 1882 – 47ft, – for David Gove, Gourdon
  • Brothers Pride WK – April 1882 – 45ft – for William Cormack, Wick
  • Unnamed– June 1882 – 51 ft for James and John Muir, Cellardyke
  • St Adrian KY 2056– June 1882 -52ft – for Henry Reid (Wood), Cellardyke
  • Ocean Pride KY 4– September 1882 – 52ft for W & R Gilles, Largo
  • Unnamed – December 1882 – 49ft 6inches x 16ft 8 inches , for John Falconer, Fisherrow
  • Christina KY319 – March 1883 – 44ft length of keel – for William Easson, Buckhaven
  • Janet Anderson – April 1883 – 50ft for Alexander Bayne or Bain, Wick
  • Speedwell – March 1884 – 56ft x 18ft x 7 1/2ft for Thomas Taylor of Pittenweem
  • Peace KY530 – 20ft x 7ft 5′ x 3ft 3′ for Alexander Waston of Cellardyke
  • Ina Cook KY 144 – May 1900 – 68ft x20ft x10ft 4′ for Andrew Henderson, Cellardyke
  • Prestige KY 196– September 1900 – 68ft x20ft x10ft for Adam Reid, Cellardyke