1 George Street
- George Fleming – Baker – appears in 1903 Slater’s Directory
- Alexander Neilson– Baker. was operating at the end of WW1
- Willie Macleod– Baker
- Lindsey Berwick – newspapers and Groceries
- Anne and Franks– newspaper shop
- Morag and Stuart Wallace – News Agents
- Morris? Williamson
- Tangles 2-Michelle and Gladys barnet moved there after leaving James Street
- Astara– Beauty Parlour
- Private residence
SELLING NEW BREAD. Cellardyke Baker Fined £7.
A plea of guilty was tendered in Cupar 1 Sheriff Court this afternoon on behalf of Alexander Neilson, master baker, Cellardyke, who was charged with having sold a 2-lb. loaf that had not been baked 12 hours previously.
Mr J. K. Tasker, his agent, said Mr Neilson was doing just as everybody else was doing – selling new bread. He believed in Dundee and elsewhere it was the common ‘ practice to sell new bread. Hon. Sheriff Osborne said the regulations were still in force, and heavy fines and been inflicted quite recently. He could not accept a plea of ignorance. The sentence could be a fine of £7, or thirty days’ imprisonment.
Wullie McLeod the bakers (Phemie his wife served in the shop)…he made ‘awfi guid bridies and pies’ ( Susan Cathcart)
9 George Street –
- James Fortune,
- This business seems to have set up in 1885 when Fortune took over Robert Watson’s Drapery Business. – James Fortune had been managing this side of the Business.
- East of Fife Record 6th March 1885. OPENING INTIMATION. JAMES FORTUNE begs most respectfully to intimate to the Inhabitants of CIELLARDYKE and District that he has acquired the Drapery Business so successfully carried on by Messrs ROBt. WATSON & CO.. Cellardyke; and having purchased the entire Stock at a very liberal valuation, purposes, previous to making new Purchases, to offer the same at such prices as are likely to command a ready clearance. He would take this opportunity of stating that it is his intention to conduct his business on the same sound cash principles as those adopted by his predecessors, and that he will endeavour to give the same uniform value as has always been offered at this Establishment. He will open on his own account on SATURDAY first, the 7th inst., when he hopes to have the Stock arranged ready for sale, and would commend to the general public the announcement he makes by separate bill. GEORGE STREET, CELLARDYKE.
- ROBT. WATSON & CO., MERCHANTS, CELLARDYKE, hereby intimate that they have disposed of the Drapery Branch of their Business to Mr JAMES FORTUNE, under whose management it has been for some years, and in doing so they would take this opportunity of thanking those numerous friends who so liberally patronised them in this Department. They would most respectfully request on behalf of Mr Fortune a continuance of the same liberal patronage so kindly granted them for the past eleven years.
- Still appears in 1903 Slater’s Directory
9 – 11 George Street R Watson & Sons, offices, makers of Oilskin’s, herring nets and buoys. Factory also in Buckhaven & Newburgh.
The business began in 1859 The factory burned down in about 1942 but a new shop was opened on the site. They sold duffle coats and Navy coats as well as fishermen’s clothing.
23 George Street
- Alex C Murray – Grocer and General Spirit dealer is the listing in 1903 Slater’s Directory
- James Bett
Sharp and Murray
DEATH OF BAILIE SHARP, KILRENNY. March 1892 – A native of Cellardyke, Mr Sharp was in the 62nd year of his age. When quite a youth he served an apprenticeship in the Commercial Bank, Anstruther, after which he acted, with much acceptance, as accountant for some years. In the year 1859, Messrs James Fowler & Son, merchants, Cellardyke, retired from business, and in December of that year, Mr Sharp, with his partner, Mr David Murray, St Ayles Crescent, Anstruther, opened the establishment. Under the new firm the business soon increased to such an extent that they were led to engage in fishcuring, and in 1862 to build and open a very considerable net and oilcloth manufactory. Every description of fishing gear was made, and the firm attained one of the foremost places in the seafaring enterprise of the coast. They opened branches to different places in Scotland and in England as the necessities arose, in Aberdeen, Balta Sound Shetland, and Yarmouth. Further development was made in opening a branch in Australia, to which they have continued ever since to send consignments of their curing establishments..
Alex C Murray
General merchant and Ship’s Chandlers- in 1893 A C Murray was advertising Celylon Teas and so was definately inbusiness by then..
Later Jimmy Bett’s grocers and Watson’s Factory shop. This became a house and Elsie Dick and John Muir lived there for many years.
There was a ‘summer’ shop which sold pails and spades etc in a building where George Walker’s house now stands. The original house was knocked down and was a space for many years.
Andrew Wilson’s Baker’s Shop. 1920 to 1940s.
39 George Street
BOOT AND SHOEMAKING. RAMSAY & MOTION RESPECTFULLY intimate to the Inhabitants of CELLARDYKE and Neighbourhood that they have commenced the above BUSINESS in all its Branches, in 39 GEORGE STREET, CELLARDYKE, Where by strict attention to Business, and Moderate Charges, they trust to merit a share of Public Favour. Nov 1879
50 George Street – A Henderson, fish filleting shed till 1960’s
53 George Street – Wilson’s bakers.
At some point there was a vennel ran down the side of this property, it was totally redeveloped by Donald the butchers and now is a private house. there is no 51 George street, it is not even mentioned in the 1881 census.
69 George Street
- James Skinner – Grocers and ironmongers 1885 he also opens a shop in James Street that year , On 29/4/1898 the shop is up for sale. ” occupied by the late James Skinner, suitable for grocer or baker or similar business, there is ample cellaradge at the back”
Ann Keay’s…Sweets and Groceries (Vina Gilmour’s auntie)
Coull Deas “It was a wee grocery type shop with cheese on the counter”. Sheila Taylor “I just remember going down a step and in to the right and there was a big counter with everything on it”
79 George Street
Post Office – 1891 – It is unclear how long this was run from here – it was owned by David Bruce from 1880 -1892 Directories state that Mary Bruce runs the post office at 67 Jamse street, they are no doubt related and this may have been a temporary shift to this premises. in 1911 David Bruce had sold properties and went on to be Inspector of the Poor
81 George Street –
- Thomas Scott – listed in 1903 Slater’s directory as Grocer, Draper and Oilskin Manufacturer
Pallets also known as boughs were the floats used between driftnets. Originally, bladders Sheep, and even cat and dog skins were used. Canvas ones patented by Blacks in the 1890s became the standard type.
- Jock (Jek) Gillon – Baker also known as Jeanie Guillans
- G H Barnett – Baker
- The Haven – Pub and restaurant
- Unknown Curers business
- Sharpe and Murray’s – we are not sure what part of their business they employed from there as they had multiple strands including net maiking, Oilskins, Curing, canning and fishing gear this was up for sale in 21/3/1884
3 Shore Street
1881 – BOOTS BOOTS BOOTS
ROBERT GRAY has OPENED that New Shop, at No. 3 Shore Street, Cellardyke, with a large and varied Stock of BOOTS and SHOES, such as will give every satisfaction to the Public in fit and wear. R G. begs to thank the Public of Cellardyke and surrounding district for the past support he has received during the past two years, and still hopes, by strict attention to all orders entrusted to him, to merit a share of public patronage.
1882 – BOOTS AND SHOES. ROBERT GRAY respectfully announcing to his Customers and the Public that he will offer the Whole of his Large Stock of BOOTS and SHOES at the Lowest Prices. All done on the shortest notice. 3 SHORE STREET, CELLARDYKE.
- Mrs Penmans in 1930s
- Aggie Middleton’s – 1960s
- later Barnett’s bakers –
- in 2021 Lisa Kerr’s Hairdressers
Mrs Rowland’s – Newsagent – 1930s
22 – 24 Shore Street
- Alex Marr – Grocer 1895 at 22
- Andrew Waddel
- Wilson Allan
- Jimmy Smith’s 1970’s still called Wilson Alans, General Grocer’s
- Lindsay Berwick’s,
- Ron Avery Antique shop
- Howard Murphy (taffy)Antique shop,
- now residential
25 Shore Street
East of Fife Record – Friday 06 November 1885
NEW BAKING ESTABLISHMENT. THOMAS SWINTON, BAKER, CELLARDYKE, respectfully informs the Public of that place and District, that he has now Opened that Shop, 25 Shore Street, Cellardyke, so long tenanted by Mr Alex. Donaldson, where he intends to carry on the Business of a BAKER in all its various branches. T. S. trusts that, by bestowing careful attention on his business, and selling Goods of the finest quality, he may receive a share of public support
31 Shore Street – Lumsden – the Sweep
Public house – 1895 the pub and house is up for lease, previously leased by John Doig and owned by Alex Marr Grocer 22 Shore Street.
35 Shore Street – Isobel Boyter, ladies dressmaker, low windows were rooms used till 1960’s
Cormacks Fish Curing and Cooperage later Melvilles
later Wullie Jack’s Market Garden and fruiterer’s. He came with a horse and cart …Twinkletoes was the horse!!! ….with all the produce built up in tiers on top of the cart.
1887 – John Bruce Family Grocer and provision Merchant