Cellardyke Shops and Businesses

Dove Street

Epp Dick’s – general store and she also sold jewellery.


  • Sharp and Murray’s net factory – Sharp and Murray ran a net factory on this site in the 1860s and in 1869 bought the adjoining freechurch hall for £200 to extend the business. The hall was later knocked down and the house Sunnyside built (a date stone can be seen on the western gable end of the house) The free Church built a new hall in East Forth Street.

Later furniture factory and now a joiner’s workshop

The Furniture Factory in Cellardyke produced cabinets for Crail made TVs
Advert 1948 Waid Magazine (J Smith and J Doig)

East Forth Street and Urquhart Wynd

Hodge’s dairy farm –

RAF officers houses and Silverdykes estate now stands were his fields

Now Doig’s fish merchant and David Barnett’s catering

J Martin’s oilskin and knitwear factories

Photo Malcolm Macdonald
Photo Malcolm Macdonald
Making Waterproofs inside Martin’s factory 1930’s Photo Malcolm Macdonald

Carstair’s Factory (now Sou’wester Court) made knitwear and fishermen’s ‘daupers’ (waterproof jackets) and buoys. There was a shop which sold the knitwear. It was in the building with the wall around the front. The offices were upstairs from that. As a child I would marvel at the intricate ‘Fair Isle’ inserts that were on display in the windows which would then be inserted into ‘Fair Isle’ cardigans or jumpers and sold in the shop. ( Susan Cathcart)

Urquhart Wynd

  • Alexander Morrison, Butcher – appears 1903 Slater’s Directory

1-3 East Forth Street,

  • Jimmy Williamson’s joiners back of Cellardyke town hall

Robert Fowler’s grocer’s pre 1910, 2- 8 East Forth Street

Photi Malcolm Macdonald

Robert Fowler’s Grocers and General Merchants (Harry Fowler’s Grandfather) They sold groceries, haberdashery, fancy goods and china.

Harry caused quite a stir in the early 70s when the grocery department went ‘self-service!

I worked in the China department with Annie Guthrie during the summer holidays. I received ‘training’ in how to wrap awkward parcels using the minimum of brown paper. It was a very busy shop with the ‘Glasgow visitors’ buying their holiday presents and the locals buying the ‘waddin’ presents. We were often asked…”Dae ye kin whaat cheeny the bride’s collecting?”

Harry was always able to say … “Well Mrs X bought her this and Mrs Y got her that.”

Harry continued to own the shop but rented it out to Tom Small then Gina Cargill then an English couple, whose name escapes me, but they  had a huge ‘Dulux type’ dog. Harry continued in retail concentrating on his China shop in Anstruther which traded under the name of ‘Miss Addison’s’ (now the bookshop at the top of Rodger Street.)

Info Susan Cathcart

Robert Fowlers hardware Store 1940’s

Photio Malcolm Macdonald
Advert 1948 Waid Magazine, (J Smith and J Doig)

Peter Smith’s drapers and grocers.

It further East than Harry Fowlers shop and was closed in the 60s. It is now a private house.

West Forth Street

Elsie Watson’s – dressmaker.

(the house with the wall around the front courtyard, just before Ellice Street) She ran her business from the top floor of her house. Elsie only had one leg and used a wooden crutch.

The KY Boot factory

In the 1896 a huge investment went into this business but unfortunately it only lasted a few years due to cash flow problems. The property prior tot this had belonged to a Mr John Ritchie but was being operated as an Aereated Water Co in 1896 by a Mr Hutton and was bought fot £200.

19th Feb 1897
The building thought to house the Boot factory
No description available.
Liquidation 10 March 1899

Tam Blyth’s Farm steading

Photo Malcolm Macdonald

Tam used to herd his cows from there up to Tam Blyth’s field which was across from The Old Manse in Toll Road, where the RAF houses were built.

Tam Blyth’s Dairy

On the North Side of West Forth Street this house incorporated the dairy shop. The window to the right of the front door was another doorway. Access for the shop keeper was a small door just inside their front door. The shop was only about 5ft x 8ft with a table at the end which had the milk churn sitting on it. Customers would turn up with their own jugs to collect the milk. Often the custormers jug cover was a fancy emroidered cloth with beads round the fringes to keep it weighted down keeping dust and flies out. ( info John Smith and Myra Dick)

The original Dairy sign, still belonging to the house
Tam Blyth – photo from John Smith, taken at the back of 14 West Forth Street
the dairy entrance was a door to the right of the front door, now a window

Toll Road

3 Toll Road – Joan’s Gift Shop, then Nancy Small’s Baby shop.

Joan’s maiden name was Fortune. her father owned the buildings next door to this house too

Photo Malcolm Macdonald

A piggery then William Fortune Engineers – Richard Christie’s Engineers, then Jocky Watsons Marine Engineers

Now a candle business – Casa Candles

W. Fortune (Joan’s Father) was the only person with a telephone during the 1920s and Mum remembers being sent there to ask him to phone the doctor. He also charged the accumulators.

Info Susan Cathcart


Damage to the extent of about £300 was caused by fire which broke out yesterday in a hay loft tenanted by Messrs A.& F Bowman, butchers, Cellardyke.

The outbreak was observed about 2 o clock, and the local fire brigade, under the charge of Bailie Bett, was soon on the scene. Willing helpers assisted in the endeavour to prevent the flames spreading to adjacent buildings, and after hard work this was accomplished. Meanwhile the livestock – a bullock and a number of pigs occupying the stalls beneath the loft were removed to a place of safety.

The loft, which held about two tons of hay and other material was completely gutted. The premises belong to Mr W Fortune, engineer, Cellardyke.

Photo Malcolm Macdonald

Williamson’s Builder’s yard

  • Robt Williamson , Slater and Plasterer – Listed in Slaters Directory 1903
Photio Malcolm Macdonald

Rob Williamson’s ‘Lime Yaird’ was next to the kirk. He was a local builder, cousin of Jimmy Williamson the joiner. This was his builder’s yard.

Rodger Street and Fowler Street

Jimmy Dow’s – Ellen Cameron’s – The Hendersons – McPhail’s, McWilliam’s, Curry’s and now Wilson’s all Grocers.

Photo Malcolm Macdonald

Thomasena (Boyter) Stewart’s dressmakers at ‘Windsor’, next to the corner shop.

35 Rodger Street – GH Barnetts previously Watson’s and Henry Ireland’s

Photo Malcolm Macdonald
Advert 1948 Waid Magazine, (J Smith and J Doig)

12 Rodger Street –

  • Wulliemenie Martin,
  • John ( Jeeky) & Mary Watson, Grocer and Sweetie Shop, now part of 14 house ( see advert below for 24 Fowler Street, this is the same J.A Watson.
Photo Malcolm Macdonald

At the south end of Rodger Street, next to the school back gate was Mrs Younger’s general store – it was taken over by Williamina Martin then Mary and John (Jeeky) Watson.

The school children were not allowed out of the playground at ‘piece time’ but would chant… “ Mary! Mary!” until she came scurrying back and forth to take orders and money through the chicken wire fence which was along the top of the dividing wall. The favourite buy was Potato Puffs, Lucky tatties, Black Jacks or packets of Spangles.

Info Susan Cathcart


No description available.
June 1887
Advert 1948 Waid Magazine, (J Smith and J Doig )

1940’s Jimmy Dunbar with Donald the horse delivering Clements milk, East Forth Street

Photo Malcolm Macdonald

1950’s Wullie Jack selling fruit and veg round the streets from his horse drawn cart

Photo Malcolm Macdonald


Tawtie Ecky’s – Mr Phelps – most likely in the outhouse at the back of 36 West Forth Street which looks onto Cellardyke Primary School. This small room was like a library and smelt of old books, he also sold lollies and sweets.

Ellice Street

  • John Clark – Builder and mason appears in the 1903 Slater’s Directory no specific address given

Tolbooth Street

  • Misses Marion and Jessie Fairweather – Dress makers – appear in Slater’s Directory 1903 no address given
  • Miss Margaret Robertson – Dress maker, Milner, Baby linen and Berlin wool dealer – appears in Slater’s Directory 1903

The Camp Shop…this stood at the top of Toll Road to the south side of the Holiday camp entrance and served the camp site and the surrounding area. It sold most things. Isabelle McWilliams ran it for a while.

Bill Taylor’s gift shop inside camp gates

Inside the camp was a chip shop and also the Holiday camp bar the Tartan Tavern…