The Cellardyke Echo – 29/4/2021 – Issue 284


An Old Offender.

A Cellardyke fisherman named John McRuvie was brought before Provost. Readdie, at a Police Court in Anstruther on Friday, charged with having, on the 16th inst.. in Shore Street, conducted himself in a riotous and disorderly manner and challenged several persons to fight. He admitted the offence. and it was stated by the Procurator-Fiscal (Mr Masterton) that there were eight previous convictions recorded against the accused, who, however, had been trying to reform, it being four years since he was last before the Court. The accused stated that he was sorry at what had happened, but unfortunately he had taken too much drink on this occasion, and had so far forgotten himself. The Provost said that he was pleased to know that the accused had been endeavouring for some time to lead a better life, and it was to be regretted that he had not continued to do so. In the hope that this would be a warning to him, he imposed a lenient sentence of a fine of 7s 6d, with the alternative of five days’ imprisonment. The fine was paid.

Believed the Sergeant.

Too much faith in the powers of recruiting sergeants appears to have been the responsible factor in bringing David Reid, 13 Dove Street, Cellardyke before Hon. Sheriff David Osborne, at Cupar, last Thursday. He was charged with having failed to report as a reservist under the Military Service Act.

Mr T. W. Davidson, solicitor. Cupar, stated that he had advised the accused to plead guilty. The facts were that this man suffered from a serious affection of the eye; he was very nearly blind. About six months ago he met a recruiting sergeant in St Monans, and had a conversation in regard to joining the Army. This recruiting sergeant looked at his eye, and told him it was no use his attesting and as a result when he got the first notice he paid no attention. When the second was received, the accused’s father went to the Clerk to the Kilrenny local Tribunal, and asked for a form on which to appeal on ground of infirmity. The Clerk he in was informed, refused to give him an appeal form on the ground that it was too late. The accused was afterwards arrested on his way to work, and on being brought up at Cupar tendered a plea of not guilty. Having been arrested when he had no money on him, and having no time to arrange, he was imprisoned for one night in Dundee Prison before he (Mr Davidson) could wire the money for his bail, and have him liberated. Hon Sheriff Osborne said he would impose no penalty, but would hand the accused over to the military escort.

Another War Victim.

Though no official intimation has yet been received, it would appear that, Cellardyke has another to add to its already long list of natives who have made the supreme sacrifice. Mrs John Wilson. Shore Street, recently sent a letter to her son, Sergt Geo. Wilson, of a Canadian contingent located “somewhere in France,” and this has been returned from the General Post Office, London, with the bald announce-1 men on it, “Killed in action; location un-, known.” It must be admitted that this, is a very unfeeling way in which to intimate such a sad event, and Mrs Wilson is naturally very much upset, and in a state of suspense awaiting further particulars It would seem that Sergt. Wilson was in the same company of the contingent as Private Alex. Moncrieff (Doig), also a Cellardyke lad, whose death was announced last week, and it is presumed that both were killed in the same action Sergt. Wilson, who was 47 years of age and unmarried, served his apprenticeship as a plumber and tinsmith with Messrs Gray & Pringle, Anstruther, and went to Canada some three years ago. He was getting on well there, and was among the first of the Canadian contingents to enlist after the outbreak of war. He was an exceptionally fine young fellow, and before proceeding abroad was an enthusiastic local Volunteer. He was also a member of the Chalmers’ Memorial Church, and the, second son of Mr John Wilson, fisherman, who has other two sons in the Colours, both on patrol service, John in the Dardanelles and David off the coast of Ireland. Deep sympathy is felt with the bereaved family, and it is to be hoped that more definite information will soon reach them.



Mrs Munro. The Schoolhouse, has received the following letter in acknowledgment of what has been sent by the Women’s Work Party of Cellardyke:


We received today three boxes containing 317 pairs of socks addressed to Captain Munro. As Captain Munro is at present away from the Battalion, the boxes were opened, and the socks will be distributed throughout the Battalion. For this magnificent gift we beg to convey to yourself and those who so kindly helped the sincere thanks of all ranks. Such splendid socks are always greatly appreciated. Assuring you of our deep gratitude.—Yours faithfully, H. Sutherland, Lt. Col.. Commanding Black Watch.” His many friends in the district will regret to learn that Captain Munro has been very ill with trench fever, and is at present undergoing treatment in a hospital at Le Treport. France.

In all 503 pairs of socks and a number of mufflers, etc.. have been sent out from Cellardyke  since February…

A Gordon Highlander who was intimately associated with Cellardyke has made the supreme sacrifice, in the great push in France  his wife having received a letter on Monday from the chaplain (Rev. Malcolm’ Macleod), stating that her husband. Private Andrew Hallcrow, was killed in action on 10th inst. In the letter it is stated further that “his, remains were buried with some of his comrades in a spot which they had gained from the enemy. Your husband was a good and faithful soldier, and served the cause for which we fight well. His supreme sacrifice was not all in vain, but it is very hard, and I pray for you in your great loss and loneliness. May the Lord comfort and help you. I am sure that He will He promised.”

Private Hallcrow was a native of Sandwick. Shetland, and was a cooper to trade. He was working at his occupation in Aberdeen when the war broke out, and enlisted at once in the Gordons, a regiment that has been very severely hit in the great campaign. He was only about 27 years of age, and was greatly respected for his exemplary disposition. He leaves a widow and son, for whom much sympathy is felt in their bereavement. Mrs Hallcrow, now resides with her mother, Mr. Pattie. John Street.



Cellardyke Baker Fined £7.

A plea of guilty was tendered in Cupar 1 Sheriff Court this afternoon on behalf of Alexander Neilson, master baker, Cellardyke, who was charged with having sold a 2-lb. loaf that had not been baked 12 hours previously.

Mr J. K. Tasker, his agent, said Mr Neilson was doing just as everybody else was doing – selling new bread. He believed in Dundee and elsewhere it was the common ‘ practice to sell new bread. Hon. Sheriff Osborne said the regulations were still in force, and heavy fines and been inflicted quite recently. He could not accept a plea of ignorance. The sentence could be a fine of £7, or thirty days’ imprisonment.

(I thought this was a strange law and looked it up – here’s what I found- )

During the First World War, British food supplies were affected by a number of factors: poor harvests at home and abroad; reduced food imports as a result of enemy action; and decreased manpower due to workforces being siphoned off by the military. By May 1917, the Minister for Food warned the Cabinet that feeding the country after September would be ‘a difficult problem’.

Action needed to be taken. With wheat and other cereals suffering from acute shortages, the supply of bread, a nationwide staple, was of specific concern. The government launched a propaganda campaign encouraging bakers and housewives to use potatoes to bulk out their loaves and commanded that commercial bakers could only use ‘standard flour’, a mix that contained more of the grain that, during peacetime, would usually be discarded.

As a further measure, the Ministry of Food and wider government made attempts to influence consumption, as well as production, by introducing the Bread Order in 1917. This regulation made it illegal to sell bread until 12 hours after it had been baked. According to The Times, the government realised that stale bread was ‘more nutritious’ and would be consumed 5% less than fresh bread.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *