The Cellardyke Echo – 10/6/2021 – Issue 290


Provost Black, Cellardyke, yesterday presented Mr William Sutherland, fisherman, coxswain of Anstruther lifeboat, with the bronze medal of the Royal Humane Society, and Mr Thomas Pratt, fisherman, with a certificate from the society, for having saved the lives two boys in Anstruther Harbour on 21st April. The two fishermen had previously been presented with £15 aid £5 respectively by Mrs Walker, West Calder in recognition their bravery.

Kilrenny Parish Council Poor relief

A CELLARDYKE CASE. Mrs Reid or Brown’s appeal was next dealt with. The Chairman explained that the husband bad died some four months ago, and the family of 7 had been left with nothing. The woman had kept off the Board until she was absolutely compelled to go on. Her husband’s nets and gear were taken to sea, and it was very good of the fishermen to take them. This could not go on, however, and the gear had to be returned, and the woman became absolutely penniless. She said she would have kept off the Board had her gear been taken to sea. They had granted her 6s a week a month ago. The Council decided to increase this aliment to 7s 6d per week.

Letters to the Editor

Dear Sir, –As this is the day of public inquiries, and as it seems to me that the Kirk session of Kilrenny are appointed to act in the interests of the parishioner., I would like if you or any of the members of the same can tell me what has become of the money that was left by Mr Orphat for the keeping up of the Kirk yard. As far as I can learn there was £100 invested at four per cent, the interest of which was to be spent in keeping the Kirk yard clean. L am credibly informed that it is nearly twenty years since the present caretaker got any of it. Where is it going to or is it lost?: or what has become of it? is what your humble servant wants to know. I am, etc.,


Last week homer pigeon alighted one of the (Cellardyke) boats at sea, about 30 miles off Shields, and on the voyage home laid an egg. The bird, however, died on Monday.

Factory Act Prosecutions— At Cupar Sheriff Court on Tuesday before Sheriff Armour—Messrs J. Martin A Company, waterproof clothing manufacturers, Cellardyke, were prosecuted at the instance of Mr W. Buchan, H.M. Inspector of Factories, for employing three girls under 18 years of age, on the April last, until 9 p.m., when they should have stopped work at seven o’clock in the evening. The firm pleaded guilty, and a fine 30s was imposed, with costs.


The Pioneer ML 30

The experiment of applying auxiliary power to an ordinary sailing fishing boat, initiated in 1905, was continued during the summer and autumn months of 1900, and was followed with deep interest by the fishermen and all the fishery authorities of the United Kingdom, as well as those engaged in the marine motor engineering trade. A new skipper (John Mackay, Cellardyke) and crew were engaged, the latter consisting of six men—one from Cellardyke, two from Barra, two from Stornoway, and one from Helmsdale —the terms of agreement being that each man was to receive one-seventeenth of the net earnings as wages. The skipper supplied three-sevenths of the fleet of nets, and in return for this received an additional three-seventeenths of the net earnings, leaving seven-seventeenths for the Board, three seventeenths for the boat, and four seventeenths for their share of the nets.

The Pioneer left Anstruther on the 1st of May and arrived at Castlebay on the 11th, having made calls at Wick, Scrabster, Loch Eriboll, and Stornoway, at which places fishermen and others interested in the fishing industry were given an opportunity of inspecting the motor. Fishing operations were commenced on 13th May and were continued till 10th June, but the results were most disappointing, the total earnings amounting to only £27. Various causes were assigned for this result, but the principal cause was the disinclination of the skipper to risk the loss of his fishing gear by fishing close inshore, where herrings appear to have been most abundant during the early summer, but even in the case of other boats the catches were very unequally distributed.

The motor was not in any way to blame for the result; indeed, it proved of considerable benefit to the crew in enabling them to go to and return from the fishing grounds during calm weather. From Barra the Pioneer proceeded to Lerwick, where she arrived on 14th June, after calling at Loch Boisdale and Stornoway, and from that date till the 30th, when she left for Wick, her earnings were better, though they can hardly be called even fairly satisfactory, amounting to £89, as compared with an average of £92 secured by sailing boats and £202 by steamers during the same period. The overheating of the shaft bearings of the motor, which had begun to manifest itself at Castlebay, became more pronounced at Lerwick, especially after fairly long runs, and to this defect was added the accumulation of water, oil, and dirt round the fly-wheel through lack of a pump to remove it. These drawbacks very materially interfered with the proper working of the boat.

On reaching Wick (4th July) the motor was thoroughly examined and overhauled by Mr Keir, the fishery officer of Anstruther district, to whom great credit is due for the close attention paid by him to the experiment, and for the interest he has taken in the motor. The necessary pump was now fitted into the boat, and the engine was thoroughly cleaned.


On Saturday forenoon quite a stir was created in Cellardyke when it became known that a young child, about two years old, the son of Robot Moncur, fireman on the drifter Vanguard, had been drowned in a tub. It appears that the mother had been doing some washing and the boy was playing about beside her. She had left him for a few minutes and had returned to find the unfortunate child immersed in a tub of water. Medical aid was summoned and Dr Wilson was soon on the spot, but although artificial respiration was tried for about two hours, it was of no avail. Mr Moncur, who was with the Vanguard at Aberdeen, was wired for, and the vessel left immediately for home. The sad event cast quite a gloom over the community, and much sympathy was expressed for the parents.

CHURCH OF SCOTLAND GUILD EXAMINATION. —The subject of examination this year was St Luke’s Gospel, chapters 1 and 2. Eleven members of Mr Ray’s junior Bible Class sat the examination, and the results, which have just come to hand, show that all the young people have taken certificates. No certificate is given unless the candidate takes at least 50 per cent of the possible marks. Three Cellardyke girls have acquitted themselves exceptionally well, namely, Jeannie D. Fleming, Charlotte Gardner, and Minnie Brown, Jeanie Fleming being ninth on the list of successful candidates, with 89¼ – per cent., Charlotte Gardner 20th with 85 per cent., and Minnie Brown 25th with 80¼ per cent. Those three receive merit certificates and book prizes. Merit certificates are also awarded to Jessie H. Brown, who took 77½ per cent., Helen Watson, who took 74 per cent, and Maggie Williamson, who took 68 ¼ per cent., while pass certificates are awarded to Mary McRuvie, with 62 ½ per cent., Janet Hodge, with 57 per cent., Barbara I. Smith, with 57 ½ per cent , Thomas Tarvit, with 51 ¼  per cent., and Thomas Lothian with 50 per cent. It is hoped that the success of the above will lead a larger number of the young people to compete next year. At the close of the morning service last Sunday Mr Ray read the results of the examination and expressed his gratification with them.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *