The cellardyke Echo – 13/01/2022 – Issue 322


ELIE. Return Football Match.

On Saturday, the Elie United met on their ground the Bluejacket team from Cellardyke. Elie won the toss but the Bluejackets pressed them hard during the first half, scoring 3 goals to Elie nil. In the second half the game was easier played, but the Blues again carried off the goals, securing a second 3 to 0, and claimed a fourth goal. Play, on the part of the strangers particularly, was rough, and some of the Elie team had to betake themselves to bed to recruit.


The Late Mr John Anderson —Mr John Anderson, of the Forth Tavern, who has been unwell for several months, died at his house on Monday morning, within four days of his 69th  year. Deceased was a native of Cellardyke, and began life as a grocer. He commenced business for himself at the Bridge 46 years ago, and used the Stenters as his bottling establishment, where he carried on a large trade. He changed from there to the harbour head 26 years ago, sometime after the erection of the new harbour had commenced. He remained theres ever since, but the expectations entertained by himself and so many others as to the prosperity of Anstruther being vastly increased by the harbour were never realised, nor from present appearances are ever likely to be. Mr Anderson kept up a life-lung correspondence with the Rev. Mr Ferrie in America, who was at one time minister of Kilconquhar, but came out at the Disruption in 1843, It was only last year that he raised a jubilee testimonial to Mr Ferris, who still lives and carries on his ministerial labours. The funeral took place on Wednesday to Kilrenny Churchyard, and was largely attended.

At Dunfermline Poultry show last week, Alex. Drysdale, Anstruther, obtained third and fourth tickets in the owl class, and at Forfar was also successful in gaining a third card. R. A. Fowler, Cellardyke, was first at Leslie in the Hamburgh class, and John Butters third at the same show with a turbit in turbit and owl class.

Anstruther harbour board – It was agreed to accept the offer of £15 by a Port Essie skipper for the deep sea boat, “John Bunyan,” KY 1197 of Cellardyke, which has been lying in the harbour since the death of the owner, and to restrict the claim to £6, paying the balance to the widow.  (Duncan McRuvie was the skipper/owner in 1889)


At a special meeting of Cellardyke Parochial Board on Saturday, Dr Wilson, Elm Lodge, was appointed medical officer of the parish by 26 votes against 25 for Dr Ferguson.

THE APPOINTMENT OF A MEDICAL OFFICER – -The election of a medical officer at Cellardyke last Saturday, for the parish of Kilrenny, shows how much keen and partisan feeling can be exhibited in an appointment of this kind. People seem to have as strong feelings for their doctors as they have for their ministers, for the meeting brought out some who never take the trouble to bother themselves about the administration the Poor Law except when they have a special end to serve in the spoils of office being given to some personal friend or relative. Apart altogether, however, from the appointment which has been made, it does seem strange that when the Cellardyke members got the chance of getting a medical officer for themselves only, and not one holding the same offices in other parishes, they should not have been anxious to have stipulated for this. It is patent to all that the poor would have been better looked after by one medical gentleman confined to the parish, than by one who is the officer for three or four parishes. But apparently partisan feeling is too strong in some people to look at what is best for the interests of the poor of the parish. It is a miserable excuse, but is the only one that can be traceable from the action of the majority.



The annual reunion of this school took place on Monday night—Provost Martin presiding. His remarks, full of exhortation and advice, contained also a hopeful report on the state of the school and the work. The number on the roll was 230, and the average attendance 200. The repetition of the fifty-two texts learned in the course of the year had resulted in thirty-five managing without one mistake, and thirteen failing in two. The teaching staff numbered thirty. The Young Men and Women’s Bible Class was flourishing, and an average of 70 now attended. There had been over £92 collected for mission purposes, and, taking the year altogether, it had been prosperous. The Rev. Messrs Macalpine, Anderson, and Gregory also delivered appropriate addresses, while the choir rendered sacred pieces during the evening. The usual compliments to the Chairman, kn., terminated the meeting.

A very curious incident is reported to us from the East Neuk. A young woman was proceeding along one of the streets Cellardyke on some message when a gallant, with the intention having some fun, let fly a snowball. It struck the young woman on the cheek, and she turned, no doubt, highly indignant at the insult. This was, however, speedily changed into triumphant laugh, for she found embedded amongst the snow stuck on her face silver sixpence. It is not said the thrower intended the gift.

Intimation has been received that the three inspectors, who are to take evidence of Scottish fishermen on the subject of Irish South Coast Fisheries, are to hold an inquiry in Cellardyke Town Hall, on Tuesday, 31st  instant, at 12.30 These inquiries are being held by the Irish Fisheries Inspectors in pursuance of a request of his Excellency the Lord Lieutenant of Ireland, to whom the Inspectors will report on the completion of their inquiries in Scotland on the subject of the evidence tendered by the fishermen in connection with the early herring fishing in the Irish South Coast waters, and the effect of such fishing on the Irish mackerel fishing industry. From the fishermen’s point of view these inquiries are of a very important nature.


Crail New Years Day – At night a ball was carried through with great glee in the Town Hall dancing being indulged in till well on in the morning. The only other thing in the nature of an entertainment was the conduct of several fishermen, said to be from Cellardyke, who were very much the worse of drink, and made sad exhibitions of themselves on the streets, not a few being bespattered with mud, from the face downwards. One worse than his chums had evidently been interviewing the metal on the roads, and had got a poor reception, judging from the blood and dirt about him. But for this invasion the town would have been quite dull.

The steamers had gone out on Thursday, and now returned. Captain Lyall, seeing the heavy sea sweeping over the east pier, and knowing how quickly the waves would master any vessel caught broadside on, hoisted a signal for them to stand off. The Maggie Lauder was twice put to the entrance, but Skipper Sheriff eventually steered for Leith. A little later the Tennant hove in sight, and made straight for Anstruther. Although the flag might not have stopped her, the sight of the waves, which every instant rose high over the piers and rolled away to the west, showed the great danger, and Skipper Gourlay followed the example the Maggie. The shots were small, and, as they managed one trip, the earnings were not high. Only one boat came into Anstruther—the Resolute—landing fifteen crans at 13s each.

A new impetus was given to the fishing on Monday. All the boats were out, and nearly two hundred lights might have been descried between Fidra and Methil, the favoured spot at present. On the following morning fifty boats were back with the first tide. The demand for bait took away a few crans at 20s each. A fair quantity was sold at 15s to 19s. In the afternoon ten boats landed average of seven crans, and these drew 12s each. Nor did the returns of Wednesday prove less encouraging. The average was not so high, but the fishing was general. In the afternoon the wind was light and baffling, so that the task of getting out was very tedious. Only about a score managed it, they had a long tack ere they could reach the shoals. They returned well fished, but now the price had fallen to 8s. The wind was so high on Thursday that no boats left the harbour.

The liners have now a plentiful supply of bait close at hand. They have not been able to get far to sea yet, and the takes are small. The Anster Fair made a couple of trips, grossing £49, the Edith £26, the Maggie £5 for one shot, the Rob £11, the Tennant £12, and the Effort £5.

On Tuesday the Jeannie Wood, of Cellardyke, came sweeping through the inner entrance with much speed that she ran into the Lady James and damaged her stern. The schooner was not ready for sea, and so Mr Jarvis has been able to repair her ere the cargo of potatoes was completed. The damage will be within £5.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *