The Cellardyke Echo – 27/4/2023 – Issue 386


On Sunday afternoon funeral services were conducted in Kilrenny Parish Church and in the Free Church, Anstruther, in connection with the Ioss of the Cellardyke boat and crew of seven men. Both clergymen referred to the men as being very respectable and Godfearing men, and being composed of the pick of Cellardyke fishermen. (Garland)


SKIPPER HENRY BETT and CREW of the Cellardyke Boat “Rob the Ranter,” beg to thank the Directors of the Scottish Boat Insurance Company, Fraserburgh, for the speedy settlement of their Claim for damage done to their gear in a recent storm at Yarmouth, having through their Agent, Mr THOMAS CUNNINGHAM, Anstruther, received £26 16s 4d, as the proportionate share of the loss. ( apologies this article was Dec 1891 not April)


SEAMAN KNOCKED OVERBOARD. The Cellardyke boat Fifeshire put into Elie yesterday morning, and the skipper reported that while tacking in the storm late on Wednesday night near the Carr Rock, at the mouth of the Firth of Forth, George Anderson (Tarvit), belonging to Cellardyke, was struck by a sail and knocked overboard. A heavy sea was raging at the time, and he was never seen again. He was 37 years of age, and leaves a widow and two children.

Last Friday evening intelligence was received in Cellardyke, of the foundering of a yawl in St Andrews Bay with the loss of the crew of three, all belonging to Cellardyke. It appears that the skipper of the fishing boat Comet of St Andrews (Andrew Gordon) observed on Friday afternoon a small yawl at the west side of the Carr Rock full of water, with her mast alongside. There was a strong westerly gale blowing at the time, and it was with considerable difficulty and some risk that Gordon and his crew took the yawl in tow. After boding out the water, the boat proved to be to Ross, of Cellardyke, and had been engaged in crab and lobster fishing at Boarhills almost four miles to the east of St Andrews. There was nothing in the boat except a couple of lobsters. The Rose left Boarhills in the morning in charge of her owner and skipper George Smith, who was an elderly man, upwards of 60 years of age. The crew consisted of the skipper and two young fishermen William Smith and Adam Dick, 16 and 18 years of age respectively belonging to Cellardyke. When the Comet towed the Rose into St Andrews harbour there was a large crowd on the pier. The Rose is a tidy little yawl, but the fishermen consider that she was by far too small a craft to venture out of Boarhills harbour on a gusty mid boisterous day such as Friday. The accident has cast quite a gloom over the fishing population, and much sympathy is felt with the bereaved relatives of the lost crew.


Exposure of Property – On Saturday afternoon, the fishcuring premises in Shore Wynd, Cellardyke, were exposed for sale by public coup in the Town Hall. Only one offer was given, but as the sum was far below the reserve bode, it was not accepted, and the sale adjourned. Some house and cellars in Sharp’s Close were also put up, but no offerers came forward.


Rev. Mr Ray, Cellardyke was presented last night with a full set of pulpit robes by his congregation and Young Men’s Guild.

Some of the Cellardyke skippers refused to pay their boat rates on Saturday, and are to continue this practice until the harbour ground is made even. Other skippers decline to join them until the grievance has been laid before the harbour Commissioners, and a refusal given that nothing will be done. It is alleged that the uneven bottom of the harbour causes damage to the boats by springing their timbers on account of the strain when aground.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *