The Cellardyke Echo – 16/11/2023 – Issue 418


ANSTRUTHER. Two East or Fife Fishermen Drowned. The Fife fishing fleet was caught in the gale on the coast of Norfolk at the end of the week. Several boats were in fearful peril on the banks, where the surf was running mountains high. They escaped by a miracle, but the St Monance veteran. James Fyall, was swept overboard from the “Star of Bethlehem,” of Cellardyke, and drowned. He was 64 years of age, and leaves a widow and grown-up family. A second fatality occurred in the ease of another Cellardyke boat, the “Venus Star.” The ill-fated fisherman was Mr (William) Montadore, a native of France. He was in the prime of life, and leaves a widow and three children. Eight East of Fife fishermen have been lost this autumn in the seas off Yarmouth.

CELLARDYKE. TUNKS’ PATENT CONTINUOUS OVENS.—Messrs Black & Son have this week had fitted up in their bakehouse in James Street, Cellardyke, one of G. S. Tunks’ & Co’s of Cardiff patent continuous ovens with two decks. Since the patent was taken out these ovens have become very popular especially in England and Ireland. They are of two decks and the merit claimed for them is that the flues, which communicate the direct heat are so arranged that they are entirely under the control of the baker. The heat can be increased or diminished as desired in any part or over the whole of the oven chamber. The ovens just fitted up Cellardyke are 8 feet by 6, inside measurement, and have a glazed brick front, which gives a tidy appearance to everything. The furnace is at the side, and the heat is so evenly diffused that the top oven can be made hotter than the bottom one, although the fire is underneath the latter. This is caused by a damper being opened which admits of the heat being sent to any extent to the top away from the bottom, and vice versa. Heat indicators are placed on each side of the ovens, so that the worker can understand at a glance the amount of heat in the ovens. The new ovens save a great deal of time, labour, and fuel, and are easily worked. No scuffling is required, and they are thus always very clean. The new ovens will enable the Messrs Black to more fully meet the increasing demand for their ship and boat’s biscuits from the north. It may be mentioned that Tunks’ & Co. are the only people who have obtained permission to build an oven in the coming Glasgow Exhibition.


MAN FOUND DEAD IN FIFESHIRE. Last night the body of a man was found lying among the rocks the shore between Cellardyke and Crail . The body was dressed in brown and black tweed trousers, tweed vest, and on the feet Wellington boots. On the stockings were the initials “T. S. L.” while in one of the pockets was copy of Scott’s “Essays on Religion,” with a label on the inside page, “Markinch Parish Library, No. 29.” The Markinch authorities have been communicated with lead to the identification.

 The body was later identified as James Simson Thomson (27) a labourer of Tayport.

ANDREW BROWN, Cooper, 77 George Street, CELLARDYKE, takes this opportunity of thanking the public for their patronage in the past. and begs to intimate that all Orders for TUBS. KITS, &c, will have his best attention. Prices moderate, and Repairs speedily Executed.


BOYS’ BRIGADE.—On Monday evening, a branch of the Boys Brigade was opened in Cellardyke for the season. About 40 boys were enrolled, the officers being Captain George Black, Lieutenants A. Watson, R. G. Thomson, and A. Black. It is intended to form flute band in connection with the brigade.

EAST OF FIFE FISHING REPORT. So far as is yet apparent the lines are not the means through which the fishermen are to earn a fair livelihood. They are plied incessantly from week’s end to week’s end, but the fish are not found in sufficient quantities to make it pay. On Friday the whole take of the Cellardyke crews barely totalled half-a-dozen boxes, and in some cases the shot was carried home strung on their fingers. A rumour of a large shoal being met with about 15 miles off caused the crews to shoot there, but less fish could not have been caught anywhere. ……………….The Yarmouth and Lowestoft boats are expected; to arrive with every tide, as advices of their sailing are to hand. ………. Skipper Cameron, St Monance, may now be said .to stand as the king fisher of the Fife fleet with about £300 for the season. His two neighbours, the Amaranth and Glengarry, are credited with £200 and £190, and several others come close upon them. The Cellardyke crews have not been so fortunate, and as a rule they are far behind their western neighbours. The Carmi with some £200, the Comfort, Jeanie Wood, and the Lavina with £170 may be cited as leading at this port. ………. Several Cellardyke boats are reported to have sailed for Yarmouth from Lowestoft, but little definite word is to hand. It is thought that, if the fish continue to be got, they should stay till December………… The Cellardyke yawls at Islay are doing very well when the weather permits. The Eva Anstruther, Skipper Martin Gardiner, made two hauls one night which landed about 100 baskets, and the Diadem had 15. This was, however, the first for the week, and the price was thus high, from 18s to 20s. The coast is full of danger, and it is only occasionally that the yawls manage out. The crafts’ are also found to be rather small in which they presently face the Atlantic, but the shore is of such a nature that large boats could not be worked in and out.

Thomas Scott, 81 George Street, Cellardyke will dispose of 8 singer sewing machines, for heavy work, Cheap



 A telegram from Yarmouth on Wednesday forenoon received by the Rev. Mr McAlpine announced the death of this widely-known gentleman, and stated that deceased had been found dead in bed. The intimation was startling as it was unexpected, and excited the deepest expressions of surprise on all sides. The sincerest sympathy is felt with Mrs Murray and her daughter in their sudden and sore bereavement. Letters from Mr Murray on the preceding day had been received regarding business arrangements, and contained not the slightest intimation that he felt in any way out of his usual health. Mr Murray was a native Cellardyke, where his father and grandfather occupied positions of honour in the burgh, and were long the leading spirits. While barely out of his teens, Mr Murray, one of the most strapping fishermen the port, along with fifteen companions, emigrated to Australia, where the fame of the gold fields was then leading all. They soon saw that it was not altogether so remunerative, and Mr Murray returned to the coast. Here he ultimately became captain of one of the smartest schooners in the lightering trade. His energy and perseverance soon gained the confidence of the leading merchants, so that the vessel was almost in constant commission to lighter their ocean packets. But a terrible misfortune gave new turn to his destiny. The schooner was lying at anchor in the river, when a careless steersman caused collision. Murray so far averted the peril of the night, but his leg was so crushed that it had to be taken off below the knee. With indomitable spirit he turned to a new sphere, and was soon managing partner in store. He was a second time laid aside by the fretting of the wound, and had to return to Scotland. Not long after his return, Mr Fowler one night sent for him and announced his intention of retiring. Mr Murray was overwhelmed for the moment, but he soon proceeded to realise the expectations which Mr Fowler had formed of his future. He associated himself with Mr George Sharp, at that time accountant in the Clydesdale Bank. The latter acted as resident partner, while Murray attended to the buying. In this connection he became one of the most familiar visitors at and Aberdeen. He showed himself shrewd and far-seeing man of business. This was shown nowhere so clearly in the success which long attended his supervision of the net factory, of which he was also managing partner. His practical knowledge of this department enabled them to keep well in touch with the times, and in the end overcame all attempts many of the leading houses which then directed their attention to crushing out all competition. For many years the firm was the most extensive employers of labour in the district, sixty and eighty people being in their pay as net and oil workers, while the fish-curing and general merchant departments employed many others. All along the East Coast their names were like household words for the superiority of their sea-gear and outfit. Their fame was also spread in Australia, where their cases of preserved herring were paraded luxuries, and familiar to every settler. Thus their business increased in every direction, until a series of reverses were sustained. The firm was restarted, and were fast regaining their name, when in 1891 Mr Sharp was suddenly called. It will be remembered that, although ailing for some time, Mr Sharp was on the pier in the forenoon. In the evening while at supper he was taken unwell and died within a few hours. Mr Murray then dropped the net factory and merchant’s shop, continuing the fishcuring business. He had premises at Anstruther, Aberdeen, and Yarmouth, and bought large supplies at the latter ports. His long experience enabled him to take foremost place in the trade, and was in the midst of this work that he was cut off. Mr Murray was in his sixty-first year. With the exception of intermittent pains in his injured leg, he was rarely indisposed. He was an ardent Liberal, and a lifelong friend of Mr Stephen Williamson, M.P., and during his contests in the burghs was untiring in forwarding his interests. He was twice married, and his first wife had one daughter, for whom and Mrs Murray the deepest sympathy is being felt. Mr Murray is to be interred in Kilrenny Churchyard on Monday, where he will rest beside the kindred dust of many generations.


Yarmouth – A KY. lugger, the Reliance, No. 502, brought in the highest result of a night’s fishing of any during the present season. She had 12 lasts on board, and her cargo realised nearly £100. several other Scotchmen earned £40, £50 and £60, by one night’s work.

The boats return from Yarmouth and Lowestoft.

…One or two neighbours intended to observe Sunday ashore, but the sight of first one town man and then another leaving the Yar, and the specks on. the horizon which were known to the Lowestoft boats flitting by caused the whole fleet to follow suit. The wind has seldom been so favourable, and several smart passages were made. The mainsail was set at Yarmouth, and never a rope was touched till it was lowered at Anstruther harbour, we were told by one skipper. Home was made Tuesday or Wednesday, but there is one boat yet to come-, This is the Concord, which will stay another three or more weeks in the hope of, retrieving the fortunes, the earnings so far being just sufficient to cover expenses. Taking the fishing all over, it may set down as the best in recent years. The average for the score of Fife boats is returned at £150, the leaders being Isabellas, the Reliance, the Smiling Morn, and the Bon-Accord —the first with £220, and the others about £150. The other end contains some at £60 or £80.

The tidings from Islay are again far from encouraging. Not only the weather been against operations, but the herring have so frequently foiled the crews that many will fail to clear expenses. Already the squadron is breaking up, one or two Cellardyke yawls having left on Monday, while those from the neighbouring mainland have packed up for the final run home. The silver cup will remain a month longer, but Skipper Watson’s townsmen hope by that time to be safely at home. This yawl is the only representative from the east which has done much, the average earnings being far below the anticipations of the opening weeks.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *