The Cellardyke Echo – 8/8/2017


The new premises in course of erection for Thomas Swinton, baker in George Street, Cellardyke, was the scene of a serious accident on Monday. The previous tenement is now demolished, while the different walls, &c., are being repaired. The builder, Mr Laurie, along with an apprentice named James Spence, was employed at the oven, and in digging near the foundation of a wall upon which a high brick wall had been erected it suddenly collapsed, and buried both under the debris. The other employees were speedily at the spot, and both were extricated, but Spence was insensible. He was bleeding freely from two wounds in the head, but Laurie, although suffering from pains, especially in the side, was able walk. A carriage was speedily procured for them, and Spence was taken home to Pittenweem, where Dc Cumming, presently acting for Dr Flaxman, was called. The lad’s head was deeply cut, and the doctor stitched the wounds. It is hoped that both, with a few days’ quiet, will be able to resume their work.


On Saturday afternoon a boy named Henry Stevenson, eleven years of age, son Henry Stevenson, fisherman, 49 John Street, Cellardyke, was drowned in the Albert Basin at Aberdeen Harbour, he was seen on board the fishing boat Excellence, KY 459, of which his father is one the crew, about midday, his cap was picked the water about four o’clock in the afternoon. He is believed to have fallen overboard unobserved. The body was recovered by means of grappling-irons.

George Murray, skipper of the fishing boat K.Y. 71, of Cellardyke, was charged with a breach of the harbour bye-laws by refusing to remove his boat from one berth to another when ordered to do so by assistant berthing master. Accused denied the offence but was convicted on evidence. The magistrate spoke in severe terms to accused, and fined him 10s with the alternative of 5 days in jail.


On the arrival at Anstruther of the Cellardyke boat Catherine Eddy on Tuesday forenoon the skipper. Alexander Thomson, reported the loss of one of the crew, named Neil Macaskill. The boat was about fourteen miles off the shore when he was observed to lose his balance and fall overboard. The crew lost no time in putting the boat round and throwing articles in the hope that he might be able to support himself until picked up. Their efforts were, however, in vain, as the young man never rose again. Macaskill was only 21 years of age, a native of Dunvegan, Skye, and came to Anstruther in June in order to take part in the Lammas fishing.



By Thursday night the Fife men were at work, and, meeting with more remuneration, considerably increased their totals for the season. On Saturday friends could be met who had grossed £150 and many with £100. The week opened auspiciously—a general fishing and many boats over the average. The Docile had 35 crans at 19s, the Fifeshire 20, and so on. ……………The prince of the East Fife boats, would again seem to the Reliance, some being coupled with Skipper Reid’s name. He has thus a fine lead in the race, many of his neighbours having it may be said, hardly made a start yet. They have fought hard too, but with the most wretched of success.

While the herring fishing boat Providence, KY. 263, was about 20 miles off the Aberdeenshire coast yesterday David Moncrieff, one the crew was struck the main boom of the boat, which accidentally swung round, and instantaneously killed him. Moncrieff was between and 30 years of age and resided at Footdee. Deceased was a native of Cellardyke.


Sad Drowning Accident off Anstruther Harbour—Gallant Rescue.— A sad fatality occurred off Anstruther harbour on Saturday afternoon, resulting in the death of young man named James Smith, aged 24 years, one of the crew of the steam liner. White Cross. While the White Cross, along with other two liners, was lying off the harbour at low water, part of the crew of the Isle of May, along with Alex. Parker, son of the skipper of the White Cross, came ashore in their small boat—the former to discharge a few baskets of herrings, and the latter to take out a box of cutch to the White Cross. While in the harbour, Parker took on board four young boys to convey them out to the liner. On reaching the liner, James Smith, along with John Anderson, both members of the crew of the White Cross, stepped on board the small boat and lifted the cutch on to the steamer. The skipper then told Smith to go out to the Isle of May and get two baskets belonging to the White Cross. Smith replied, “All right,” and asked him to give him a push ahead. The engines were put slowly ahead, when about minute afterwards the small boat, owing, it is supposed, to the rope coming off the stem head, was seen to lurch and half fill with water. The boys then ran to the opposite side, with the result that the boat upset, and the whole of the occupants were thrown into the water. On the crew of the liner observing what had happened, John Anderson and David McRuvie divested themselves of part of their clothing and jumped into the water. They managed to rescue two of them just as they were going down. The other three managed to swim to the boat and cling to it until rescued. Smith, who was steering the boat with an oar, was nowhere be seen, and it is supposed that he had been struck the stern of the boat. When the others were brought to land, it was found that two of the boys were unconscious, and medical aid had to be called in, which happily proved successful. Smith was a highly respected young man, and leaves a widowed mother, for whom the greatest sympathy is felt. Reference was made to the sad event from several of the pulpits on Sunday. Notwithstanding that continuous efforts have been made since Saturday to recover the body, no trace of it was found up till Thursday night. Out of respect to deceased, the liners in the harbour showed their flags half-mast both Sunday and Monday

A memorial service was held in Cellardyke Church on Sabbath afternoon, when special reference was made to the murder of the King of Italy and the death of the Duke of Saxe Coburg by the Rev. Mr Ray, who preached most appropriate sermon from the words—“ Be ye also ready.” At the close of the sermon, the Rev. gentleman made appropriate reference the drowning accident that occurred Saturday. Appropriate hymns were sung, and a most impressive rendering of the Dead March given upon the organ by Miss Anderson.


The skipper of the Cellardyke boat Cousins, KY, 1651, arrived in Anstruther and reported that while lying about eighteen twenty miles off Bervie and Stonehaven a Granton trawler steamed through his nets and carried them all away, along with the gear. The loss he estimates at fully £100. He states that he gave warning the trawler before he came on, and that the boat’s lights were burning brightly the time. The matter has been reported to the Fishery Board.


St Andrews – At a Police Court last Saturday—Judge Scott on the bench—William Gardiner, a fish hawker from Cellardyke, pleaded guilty charge of Annoying the inhabitants in North Street and South Street, by shouting “caller herrin’.” The Magistrate said they did not object to fish hawkers crying their goods in an ordinary tone of voice, but they could not tolerate bawling. The fine would be 5s. The accused evidently realising that hit voice was not melodious enough for St Andrews, assured the Court that he would not come back to the town again. The gentleman who had made the complaint, had done so more from the point of a municipal reformer than a revengeful grumbler, and he gallantly came forward and paid the fine. The accused smiled and thanked the gentleman.


The steamer St Ninian, belonging to the North of Scotland Steam Navigation Company arrived in Aberdour last Friday with five members of the crew of fishing boat Puritan, of St Monance, which was wrecked on a reef rocks off Green Holm, near Lerwick, during the severe storm about ten days ago. Those who were landed were James Wood skipper and owner of the boat, St Monance; David Wood, 16 years, his son; Wm. Davidson, St Monance ; Thomas Swankey, Arbroath ; Patrick Rath, native of Ireland. Two of the members of the crew—Thomas Guthrie. St Monance, and who was badly injured; and Robert Smith, Arbroath left Lerwick for their respective homes several days ago. The crew of the Puritan had an exciting experience, and were in exhausted condition when rescued by the steam drifter Vanguard 111., of Cellardyke (Mr Martin Gardener, skipper). The unfortunate men were taken to the Sailors’ Home on their arrival Aberdeen, and were provided with railway tickets to enable them to proceed to their homes.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *