The Cellardyke Echo – 9/9/2021 – Issue 304


Finest home grown Grapes to be had at John Buttars, Merchant, Cellardyke

CELLARDYKE. NIGHTINGALE —ln the Parish Church, on Sunday evening, Rev. James Ray, M.A., gave a lecture on the life of Florence Nightingale, the heroine of the Crimea, before a large congregation. The rev. gentleman based his remarks from the text, Proverbs 31 and 29. In an exceedingly interesting manner he drew for his hearers a graphic word picture of the life of this heroic woman. Referring to the early portion of her life, he commented on the fact that she always showed a predilection for nursing, and her playthings were usually converted into sick persons, and were nursed and tended into good health. He then gave interesting details as to her course of studies which were ultimately to fit her for the arduous labours of the Crimea, and in the latter part of his remarks spoke of her transformation of the poor, ill equipped building at Scutari into a commodious and well-ordered hospital for the alleviation of the terrible sufferings of the soldiers. Commenting on the effects of Florence Nightingale’s work, the rev. gentleman said that now, instead of a set of ignorant and often immoral assistants, there existed a well-trained, intellectual, and refined body of nurses, who followed the course of an army in the field, while almost every village and hamlet in the country was provided with a trained nurse. The address was followed throughout with great attention by the audience. During the collection taking, an anthem was rendered by the choir,

House ENTERlNG.—Kilrenny is seemingly not the only place where houses have been entered this week, as at 21 James Street, Cellardyke, .the house of James Watson entered on Wednesday morning between 12 and 2 o’clock. Entrance had been obtained by means of the gas lamp opposite the stair window of the house, the catch of which had been pushed back with a brand new pocket knife which was left behind. Seemingly before going upstairs the intruder roamed about in the cellar and wash-house, and pulled up some of the windows of several of the rooms in the house. He entered two of the rooms upstairs, in one of which a young woman was sleeping, but the noise made on entering awakened her and she screamed, causing the man to retreat hurriedly. Apparently there was no motive as nothing was removed from the house, the Police are investigating the case.

PROPERTY IN CELLARDYKE TO SELL OR LET. The NET FACTORY presently occupied by Mr GEORGE DICK, at WIND MILL ROAD, and the OILSKIN FACTORY adjoining, with Entry at Martinmas. For further particulars apply to WK. OLIPHANT, Anstruther,

SIX TEACHERS APPLYING FOR AN INCREASE OF SALARY. The Clerk said he had received applications from six of the female teachers in Cellardyke School for an increase of salary, from Misses Rennie, Yannie. Thomson, White, Mitchell, and Taylor. All the letters, which were couched in much the same phraseology, were read. Mr Dobie said they were not in a position financially to make any increase just now.


The East of Fife like other districts experienced the heat wave last Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. There was scarcely a breath of wind the whole of the three days, but Saturday was thought to be the worst of the three days, when the temperature was nearly up to 90 in the shade. The heat on Monday was not nearly so oppressive, and in the afternoon an air of wind from the south-west tempered the warm rays of the sun. ( 90 degrees is 32C, we’ve experienced nothing like that in September even with yesterday’s record temps)

A Row on the East Pier. -A father and son, named Alexander and David Pattie, carters, Cellardyke, appeared before Provost Dalzell and Bailie Burd on Monday, charged with having on Thursday, 9th August, on the east pier of Anstruther harbour, assaulted Robert Keith, carter, Cellardyke, by striking him on the face with their clenched lists, and with kicking him. A plea of not guilty was tendered, and evidence was led. Keith stated that the son put a barrel before his cart, and when he was remonstrating with him the father came up and struck him, and they both threatened to put him in front of the wheel. They blackened his eyes, and he had to remain in bed for three days owing to the smashing he got. Several witnesses corroborated. One witness was so long in turning up that the Fiscal was about to ask for a warrant for his apprehension when he came into the Court. He was warned that in future he must obey the summons of the Court and be punctual. One witness was examined for the defence. The Fiscal said although it was not a strong case for the prosecution, sufficient evidence bad been led to warrant a conviction. Accused were ordered to pay 7s 6d each, or suffer five days imprisonment, the Provost stating that whatever the provocation they had no right to take the, law into their own hands.

FIFE FISHERMAN DROWNED. COAL MINE FATALITIES. Fatal Accident Inquiries at Cupar To-day Sheriff Armour and a jury were engaged bearing evidence in Cupar Sheriff Court under the recent Fatal Accident Inquiry Act, regarding three cases of death accident in coal mines and one case of drowning on the high seas.

The first inquiry had reference to the death of David Moncrieff, fisherman, Fowler Street, Cellardyke, and the evidence showed that he was engaged on board the fishing boat Nil Desperandum fishing at North Shields on the 16th May last, when a high wave struck the boat, and carried Moncrieff off the deck. He was visible for a quarter of an hour afterwards, but owing the heavy seas could not be reached. The line was thrown him, but did not take it, and it was thought that he was stunned- He was good swimmer.


At a mass meeting of the fishermen at Cellardyke and others interested in the securing of a deep-water harbour for Anstruther, it was resolved to make an appeal to the Chancellor of the Exchequer to provide a grant for this purpose, one of the reasons advanced being the unfulfilled promise of the Government to make a deep-water harbour at Anstruther, on the faith of which valuable local concessions were made.

The Town Council on Tuesday christened the new street the Caddies’ Burn, Burnside Terrace.

The Council have agreed to suggest to the Technical Education Committee that this winter classes in navigation should be held Cellardyke during the month of December.

Launch. —On Wednesday afternoon Mr Milter launched another steam drifter, this one being to the order of Skipper Henry Bett. Cellardyke. The vessel was christened the Breadwinner by Miss Bett, daughter of the owner.

Police Court. At a Police Court on Monday, Robert Robertson, fisherman, Pittenweem, John McRuvie, fisherman, Cellardyke, and Alexander Moncrieff, fisherman, Cellardyke, were, for committing breaches of the peace, fined 10s each, and bond of £2 for six months, respectively.


A letter was read from Mr D. Watson, Rodger Street, Cellardyke, stating that he was the owner of the boat Providence which was laid up in the harbour. He had been endeavouring to sell the boat, and had been in correspondence with three offerers. He had not yet effected a sale, but was continuing the negotiations. He fully expected that the boat would have been sold before the expiry of the period. The boat was an old one, and was in exactly the same position as the Smiling Morn, to which they had granted a reduction of the dues from 6s to 2s per week. He had to ask for a similar favour as had been granted to Skipper Bett.

Provost Black -Having reduced the dues to Bett, we must do the same to Watson. Mr Oliphant-That was my objection when we granted the reduction, and I don’t see how we can get out of it. The reduction was unanimously granted.

CELLARDYKE. GALLANT RESCUE BY DRIFTER— A sad disaster, resulting in the loss of one life, occurred between Scarborough and Whitby on Tuesday morning. The Jane and Priscilla, a motor vessel of Filey herring fishing fleet, had had a very big catch of herrings, and was making for Scarborough when the crew got the assistance of a Scottish steam herring drifter, Venus, of Cellardyke, Skipper William Smith, to tow them to port. The drifter took about twenty crans of herrings from the Filey boat, but the catch was so big that she was still lying low in the water, About a quarter of an hour after being taken in tow, John Stonehouse one of the crew of the Jane and Priscilla called to the skipper that water was coming over the stern. The skipper told him to tell the steam drifter to slacken speed. A few minutes later the motor boat turned almost perpendicular and sank stern foremost. The crew of five were thrown into the sea, and were all rescued, with the exception of Stonehouse, who sank before he could be reached. Deceased was 35, and lived at Filey where the owner of the lost boat, Mr Arthur Douglas also resides. The work of rescue was made more difficult through the heavy sea boots and clothing which the crew of the ill-fated craft were wearing. .The steam drifter later arrived at Scarborough and landed the rescued men.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *