The Cellardyke Echo – 10/6/2022 – Issue 342


Parochial Board at a special meeting of this Board on Friday night, on the motion of Provost Martin, seconded by Skipper Thomas Birrell, Mr Edie, Cornceres, was unanimously elected the representative of the Board to this District Committee of the County Council.

SUDDEN DEATH OF SKIPPER WATSON. — On Saturday evening Skipper John Watson, of the “Margaret Taylor,” was seized with illness at the tea-table. He rapidly grew worse, and passed away in the course of a few minutes. He had been afflicted for some time with disorder of the heart. Skipper Watson, who was 55 years of age, leaves a grown-up family. It will be remembered that at the election of 1885 in the burghs Watson was personated by some unknown person at the polling booth in Cellardyke.

ANSTRUTHER HARBOUR COMMISSION—Appeals for remission of dues.

The June meeting of this Board was held on Monday night—Provost Darsie in the chair. The treasurer submitted a vidimus of the revenue of the harbour for the month ending the 17th ult. In consequence of the growing usage amongst the North Sea crews of seeking a market elsewhere, it was reported that the revenue only amounted to £38 6s 6 ½d being a decrease of £7 3s 9 ½d, as compared with the corresponding period last year. The petition of Skipper James Smith for the remission of the lying-up rate of the “Good Design,” on account of the boat being detained in the harbour by the illness of the crew. was considered, and it was agreed to remit the dues. An application, revealing a peculiar state of affairs, from Messrs Robert Watson & Co., Cellardyke, was also considered. The boat ” Day Star” was held in pledge by the firm, who found that, instead of being an asset for a large debt, it was not worth the sum owing for anchorage (£18). They sold the boat to a party in Leith for £7 10s, and this sum the firm now asked the Board to accept in full of the claim. On the motion of Bailie Sharp, the offer was accepted ; and a second application, by the same firm, was to the effect that on the boat “James and Agnes,” belonging to Alexander Ogilvie, who had left the East of Fife, the dues amounted to £2o – one half the sum of which she was bought by Skipper Joseph Walker. They enclosed a cheque for the amount, which, as in the case of the “Day Star,” it was agreed to accept.


Attendance at School report by Truant Officer James Jack.

…In the case of Cellardyke Public School There is a roll of 256.. What about the case of John Muir, playing truant everyday for a whole twelvemonth. He is undoing what I am trying to do, to stop truanting. (Laughter) He has got it in his head that the Board is powerless, and is letting his fellows know. The case of May A Wilson also for a whole year out of school, and others day in and day out. He had mentioned these things in order that the board might try to remedy it for another year. (laughter). Great complaints from the teachers.

The Chairman – I am afraid we will have to censure the officer if he lectures us like that (laughter).

On the roll of Cellardyke School were 25, and the average attendances were 235,239,242 and 241. The Chairman – I don’t see the teacher has any cause for complaint there. At the infant school 256 on the roll with 208,212,208 and 208 in average attendance…

The officer was instructed to do his utmost to keep the children at school after the inspection until the holidays. It was resolved to procure an attendance order against John Muir, and to insist upon his going back to school, and attending regularly. The Clerk was instructed to write to four other parents stating that unless their children were kept regularly at school they would be prosecuted.


CELLARDYKE. Boys Brigade

This Brigade held their first excursion for the season on Saturday, when they were invited to Cairnie, Colinsburgh, the residence of Captain Scott-Davidson. The Brigade, to the number of fully 70, met at their Drill hall at 9 o’clock, and under the command of Captain George Black, and accompanied by Lieutenants Watson, A. Black, and R. G. Thomson, marched to the railway station. They were taken by the train to Kilconquhar, and from the station they marched to a field in front of Cairnie House. A number of swings were set up, and ether amusements were carried on for some time, after which the company were put through their drill by the Captain by Sergeant Drill Instructor Downey of the Volunteers. Captain Scott-Davidson had, with his usual kindness, made every provision for the wants of the inner man, and the boys were liberally supplied with pies, milk, and lemonade, while the officers were entertained to lunch in the house. In the afternoon, Captain Scott-Davidson inspected the Company, and put them through several movements. The boys showed a marked improvement since the first, and the manner in which they executed several of the movements, would done credit to a company of volunteers.


The partan fishing is now ended at Cellardyke, and is the poorest on record. The same may be said of the salmon fishing, which has never yielded so few fish.

John Martin Ritchie, of the crew of the Isabella, Cellardyke, had an undesirable adventure at sea on Thursday. He was engaged hauling in the lines, and bent down to lift on board a fish when, his hand slipping, he fell into the sea over the bow. His companions observed the mishap, and kept a sharp lookout for his reappearance. The current swept Ritchie under the boat, but he rose at the stern and was grasped by the skipper. Is another minute he was hauled on board, and after the exhaustion had worn away was none the worse of his immersion.


CELLARDYKE. Cellardyke fishermen and the May Island.

At an inquiry at Dundee on the stranding of the steamer Jasper on the May Island on 17th April last, the following evidence was led: John Gardener (67). Cellardyke, said he had been a fisherman at Cellardyke all his days. He was out fishing on the evening of the 16th April, and got into the harbour about eleven o’clock. The weather was very foggy. He thought he was within two miles of the May Island, and although he saw no lights on the island he observed the lights on the north shore. He saw a glimmer of light on the May light about ten o’clock, but did not see it again. If the wind was from the north-east and the sea from the eastward there was a heavy top current between the Carr Lightship and the May Island. While out fishing he had experienced it many a time. That current would certainly have an effect upon a vessel in ballast. He had known of the current running a fishing boat on the May Island even in clear weather.

By Captain Wood—Witness said the fishermen had studied the Admiralty tables, but found them of no use in bad weather. Thomas Tarvit (68), fisherman, Cellardyke, and pilot at Anstruther, said at two o’clock on the morning of the 17th April he left Anstruther for the May Island, and reached it about four o’clock. When he left Anstruther he could not see the May Light, but he reached the Island by means of his compass. He heard rockets fired, but thought they came from the Lightship. Witness then corroborated previous witness as to the current ; and, in reply to one of the Assessors, he said the fog kept him from seeing the May Light. Asked if he knew any difference between the electric light and the old light on the May Island, Tarvit replied that the fishermen liked the old light best. They thought they could see the old light better through a fog. Martin Gardner (60), another Cellardyke fisherman, corroborated, and said the fishermen did not have very much faith in the May Light. His experience, was that the electric light did not pierce the fog so well as oil or gas.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *