Th Cellardyke Echo – 16/6/2022 – Issue 343


DEATH OF AN AGRICULTURIST. Mr David Edie farmer, Cornceres, one of the best-known agriculturists of Fife, died very suddenly this morning on the public road between Kilrenny and Anstruther. He was walking  to Anstruther when he fell down. He was carried unconscious into Cellardyke Manse, where he expired. Mr Edie took an active part in parish affairs, was chairman for the Kilrenny School and Parochial Boards, and was lately appointed chairman to the Parish Council.

SHOEMAKERS (Any Number) WANTED. To meet the increasing demand for the K Y. SEA BOOTS, the Manufacturer opened a Branch WORKSHOP, at 52 James Street, Cellardyke. Shoemakers wishing Employment might apply there by MONDAY, or to the manufacturer, Wm. SMITH, Leather Merchant, Colinsburgh.


A court case that takes up a full column and a half  here’s a few snippets

At a Burgh Court at Anstruther on Monday —before Bailie Morton – Thomas Dunsire, publican, East Shore, was charged with having on the 18th May, between the hours of five and seven in the morning, trafficked or give out by others for whom he is responsible, to James Barclay, fisherman, Cellardyke, one half mutch-in bottle containing whisky or other excisable liquors This was said also to be the second offence. Dunsire, who was defended by Mr Grosset, Cupar, pled not guilty. …………….. Evidence was led, the first witness being James Barclay, fisherman, Cellardyke, who deponed that he was on the East Brae opposite or near Mr Dunsire’s public house on the 18th of May. He saw and spoke to Mr Dunsire. He had a little conversation with Mr Dunsire but not much. He gave Dunsire nothing at that time. No money passed between them. He left and went east to the urinal. Dunsire shortly after joined him there. Dunsire did not give him anything. He did not get a bottle containing whisky or ether excisable liquors from Dunsire. He left Dunsire there and went down the east pier to his craft. He saw and spoke to the constables on the pier. He did not take anything or a bottle from his pocket or jacket and and throw it over the pier. He never had a bottle. He did not make the observation to the constables that they would not get it there.

Sergeant Anderson said he was on duty on the 18th May between the hours of 5 and 7 in the morning. He saw the liner Chancellor come into the harbour, and watched the crew coming up the pier. About 20 minutes to six he saw Barclay come up the pier, and on passing Dunsire’s public house he looked up. He went to the end of the middle pier, and on coming back he was met by Dunsire opposite his public house. He saw Barclay give Dunsire something, and Constable Wright made the remark—He is handing him money. Barclay went on to the urinal, and he was joined there shortly after by Dunsire, and put his hand into his pocket, pulled out a bottle, and handed it to Barclay. Barclay then went down the pier, and when within 15 or 20 yards of the liner he called on him to stop. Barclay turned round, and threw the bottle of whisky over the pier, remarking that you will not get that at any rate.

Cross-examined by Mr Grosset —What was in the bottle ?—lt was the colour of whisky and it had the appearance of whisky. That is no answer to my question, what was in the bottle ?—I never tasked the contents of the bottle. But – you say it was whisky: How do you know ?- I say it had the colour of whisky. But how do you know it was whisky ?–By the colour and appearance of the contents. I did not taste the contents. I never hadthe chance of doing so. But you cannot tell whether it was whisky or not ?—I can only say it had the appearance and the colour of whisky.

After another  three or four hundred words of the same type of argument – Bailie Morton decided the case was not proven.

Several Cellardyke crews have been for weeks at Lowestoft, and the highest has not yet got £20. The theorists are telling that a change of wind is required ; a northerly breeze would in their opinion send in the shoals, and though one can take this idea for what it is worth, the skippers mean to hold on for a time yet, and give the venture a fair trial.

John Montador, second mate on board the ship Forthbank, a native of Cellardyke, died from yellow fever at Santos on 22d April last; (The Montadors later named their house in West Forth Street, NO 32 I think,  in Memory of their son)



On the morning of Jubilee Day, Provost Martin of Kilrenny, died at his residence at St Ayles Crescent, Anstruther, in his 76th year, and a gloom was met over the rejoicings of the day in the community. The Provost had been failing for some time back, and been confined to his room for the last five weeks. He gradually grew worse at the end of last week, and on Sunday it was seen that the end was near. He lingered on until Tuesday morning, when he slipped away. A pathetic incident connected with his death is the fact that he was looking forward to his only daughter, Mrs Bruce, coming in from South Africa, to pay him a visit, but unfortunately he has been taken away before Mrs Bruce could arrive. Had he lived he would have celebrated his golden wedding at the end of August, and it is betraying no secret now to state that it was the intention of his fellow-townsmen, whom he has served so long and faithfully, to present him then with a suitable token of their appreciation and respect for him. His demise has also put an end to this.

Mr Martin was a native of Cellardyke, and he has been one the prominent figures in that community for at least 50 years. He served his apprenticeship to the drapery trade with the late Provost Greig, Anstruther, and while he was comparatively a young man he set up business for himself in his native town. He soon established a successful business in 1844 he extended by beginning to manufacture different kinds of fishing material. The latter grew so much on his hands that he felt compelled to give up the drapery business, and stick entirely to his manufacturing concern. He disposed of his drapery shop to Mr, now Bailie, Thomson, in 1866, and from then on to a few years ago, successfully carried on his manufactures, which he developed to a large extent. He had an extensive connection with the north of Scotland and many fishing centres. His business enterprise was soon recognised, and he was led at a very early age to interest himself in his native place.

It was as far back as 1846 that he was chosen by his fellow-townsmen to be a manager of the burgh in conjunction with the late Mr Fowler and others. The burgh was at that time disfranchised, and had been in that position for mere than twenty years. That he soon established himself a favourite is shown in the fact that he was called to the office of Chief Manager in the Burgh, an office he held off and on for nearly 20 years. During all that time he was ever foremost at in the endeavours made to advance the interests of the burgh. He was the leading spirit in trying to get a harbour erected at Craignoon, and spared no end of trouble to accomplish this desirable object. But the expense was too great, and the project had to be abandoned in favour of the Union harbour at Anstruther. In 1868 the burgh was again raised to its full municipal status, and out of 19 candidates at the first election of a Town Council he, along with the late Bailie Sharp, was returned at the top of the poll. He was unanimously chosen Provost in December of that year, and continued to be the Chief Magistrate to his death, with the exception of two terms, when the chair was filled by Provost Watson and the late Provost Skinner. What he has done for the burgh since 1868 is too well known to be recapitulated here. but through all these years he never spared trouble, time, nor expense to further schemes and projects for the welfare and prosperity of the town. He made himself thoroughly acquainted with all questions he took up, and despite a somewhat brusque manner occasionally, he retained the confidence of his colleagues, by all of whom he was heartily supported. In his public life he set a splendid example to his fellow men to take a share in the work of the community in which they reside. But Provost Martin did not confine himself solely to the public life of the community, and fulfil his part on different public boards, the Parochial and School Boards especially, but he was equally at home, if not more so, in religious and philanthropic work. In this connection he has been a great moral force in Cellardyke. Through his instrumentality he got erected in 1860 a hall at the east end of Cellardyke for religious meetings, many of which he conducted himself. The Hall soon became too small, and he set about the erection of a larger place and one which would be more central. In this he succeeded, and early in the seventies, the present Forth Street Hall was put up. Here he superintended a large Sunday School and Bible-class every Sunday for many years and the great good he accomplished in this respect is almost incalculable. He was an enthusiastic Free churchman, and very soon after the Disruption was made au elder in Anstruther Church. He was a faithful attender at the meetings of Presbytery and Assembly, and did much to promote the prosperity of the denomination in the locality. The Provost never interfered much in politics, but he leaned to the Liberal side, and always entertained great respect for Mr Gladstone. His death is a great loss to the community in which he watt so much interested, and for whose moral and social prosperity he did so much. The funeral to-day is to be a public one, and will doubtless be largely attended. Out of respect for his memory the bunting on Cellardyke Town Hall on Tuesday was hoisted half-mast high, and his death has caused a general expression of regret in Cellardyke  and district.


CELLARDYKE – THE SCARLET FEVER.–All the recent cases of scarlet fever are now convalescent, but yesterday a fresh case occurred in School Road, in a family of seven. The epidemic is of a mild type.


In the East of Fife Record’s version of the Echo – they reported from the Pittenweem Register of 1849

EXTRAORDINARY BIRTH. -On Wednesday the 9th instant, Agnes Boyter, wife of James Robertson, fisherman, Cellardyke, was safely delivered of three children—all daughters.

The work of repairing the piers of Cellardyke harbour is to be begun next week by Bailie Williamson.

THE Public School.–Dr Dunn on Monday and Tuesday inspected Cellardyke School. There was a large attendance of the pupils, and the inspection is expected to turn out a very successful one

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *