The Cellardyke Echo – 21/9/23 – Issue 407


INQUIRY INTO THE DEATH OF A FISHERMAN AT SEA. —On Monday forenoon an inquiry under the Fatal Accidents (Scotland) Act was held in Aberdeen Sheriff Court, into the death of a Cellardyke fisherman named George Watson, who was accidentally knocked overboard from off the boat Mizpah and drowned on the 27th August. Acting Sheriff-Substitute Brown presiding. After evidence the Sheriff summed up, and the jury retired and found that deceased had been accidentally drowned by being dragged overboard by the rope attached to the sail suddenly tightening, owing to the wind belling out the sail.

REMINISCENCES OF ’45. A correspondent to the Scotsman having recently suggested the desirability of gathering together—ere they weed entirely into oblivion whatever reminiscences of the famous rebellion of 1745 were still available, quite a number of contributors have come forward with their quota—all more or less illustrative of that eventful time, round which, as one of the writers say, ” oral tradition lingers fondly to the fifth generation.”

Some of the reminiscences have a local bearing such for example as the jottings ” from very old family records ” sent by Mr Robert Louthem, Thornliebank. These records speak of the year of the rebellion as a time of commotion, and Charlie’s friends came to Cellardyke, bringing along with them a number of raw recruits from the Highlands. The magistrates had hid themselves, and these officers could find no one to carry out their instructions as to the transportation of the troops to the other side of the Forth to engage with the enemy. One of these officers among others who had met in a hostelry in the landlord magistrate’s absence, lifted a bicker with wine and said to Janet, the absentees’ wife, “Come anet, you must drink oor King’s health !” ” A’weel,” said Janet, taking the bicker. ” Here’s to a’ the kings that fear the Lord.” The squires highly approved of Janet’s conduct, for they could not lay hold on her words. ” Well,” said one of them, ” I could not get a magistrate today, therefore I have been magistrate myself, have given orders that the boats should carry over the troops.” “There is nae scaid,” said Janet ” wha do a gude turn sae as it be done.” When night came on she was much concerned about her husband, and went away to see if he was safe. On being satisfied as to this, she returned home, and met by the way two raw Highland callants, who accosted her thus :—” Gude woman could you tell us whaur we’ll get our King? “Puir things,” said Janet, “and did they really tell you you would get your King? Come awa’ wi me an’ I’ll give you a bed.” So home she went with the two youths. They were called by the others at four in the morning; few or none of them ever returned. Another of my progenitors, says Mr Louthem, writes :—” My mother was about five years old when the rebellion broke out in 1745 She and the rest of the children were left at home with a servant on the Sabbath day, when the Highlanders marched through Cellardyke, bagpipes playing and drums beating. Their door was fast, for it was the custom even in my young days that, as soon as the family were gone to church at Kilrenny, the outer door was made fast. The ship’s dog being within showed its dislike at this irregularity of pipes and drums by howling and barking. One of the soldiers provoked by his notes, stepped forward and struck the door with the butt end of his musket, which so frightened the children that they fell flat on the floor. My aunt Peggy, being older than my mother, recollected of standing on Craignoon, and hearing the guns firing when the battle of Prestonpans was fought.

FURIOUS DRIVING. —Alexander Pattie, carter, Cellardyke, was brought before the Anstruther Magistrates on Tuesday, charged with furious driving on the 15th ult., in High and Rodger Streets. One previous conviction was recorded against him, and he said he supposed he was guilty. A fine of 12s 6d or 12 days imprisonment was passed and paid.


CELLARDYKE TEA MEETING.—The annual tea meeting in connection with the Old Men’s meeting was held in the Town Hall last week. Mr James Leslie presided. Speeches were given by Messrs Charles Carstairs, J. Dick, Campbeltown, A. Watson, and A. Thomson. A choir was also present and rendered some hymns, while a number of little girls gave recitations, etc., which greatly pleased the old men. The average age of these men was 76; and the attendance at the weekly prayer meetings shows an average of 15. The expenses in connection with the above depend on subscriptions.

Increase of Steam Liners.—Tho steam line fishing, which was started only six years ago, has developed so rapidly that at present there are over 20 crews of Cellardyke fishermen engaged in these crafts. A dozen of these belong to Anstrnther companies the remainder being owned by Shields and Aberdeen companies.

SUDDEN DEATH. —About 8 o’clock last Friday, Mrs Donaldson, widow of Mr Alexander Donaldson, baker, Cellardyke, complained while at supper of a severe pain in her head, and when leaving the table for the easy chair by the fire, she became giddy and almost fell. Her little boy seeing his mother ill, ran for the assistance of a neighbour, who on going into the house, found Mrs Donaldson, in the chair with her head lying forward on her breast and her mouth partly twisted to one side. Dr Wilson was sent for, and used all the necessary remedies, but without avail, and she passed away a little after 10 o’clock. She leaves a family of four young boys, for whom much sympathy has been expressed.

CELLARDYKE. On the representation of Messrs H. B. Mackintosh & Son, the local agents of the Shipwrecked Fishermen and Mariners’ Society, Mrs Tawse, widow of Alexander Tawse (Murray), who was drowned off Aberdeen some weeks ago, has received from that Society the sum of £8. The deceased was a member of the Society for only one year. The annual subscription is three shillings.


At Anstruther Burgh Court on Monday, before Provost Anderson and Bailie Darsie, William Sutherland, fisherman, Cellardyke, was charged with having, first on Thursday, 2d instant at the Harbour Head, assaulted Sergeant Anderson whilst in the execution of his duty by striking him a severe blow on the forehead to the effusion of blood and injury of his person. Second, at the same time and place he cursed and swore, and conducted himself in a drunken and disorderly manner. Accused said he was guilty of being drunk and of the breach of the peace, but not guilty of striking Sergeant Anderson.

Football – Mr Alex. Kidd, who has charge of the scribbling department on behalf of the Crusoe writes us that his men are to take the field this week. The opening match is to be with Kilrenny F.C., or, as the latter call themselves, the ” K.Y. team. ” They should provide a good game, as most of the men come from Dundee, and are now engaged at Cellardyke boot Factory. The Crusoe have on a number of other good matches, and first class juveniles or modest juniors who may desire a place on the card should lose no time in writing for dates. –

LARGO JUVENILES Vs. “K.Y.” The new Kilrenny team tried their strength against Largo Crusoe on Saturday. The men were chiefly employees of Cellardyke boot factory and hailed from Dundee. They could not withstand the rushes of the Crusoe and retired defeated 7 goals to 4 the Crusoe were aided by Kennedy, Leven who did some smart work centre-forward.

“Dinna Shak’ Dauvit.” George Tarvit (13), apprentice sail maker, Alexander Thomson jun. (12), and David Watson (10), schoolboys, all residing James Street, Cellardyke. admitted havig, on 12th September, stolen a quantity of beans from a field on the farm of Rennyhill, occupied by David Gibb. The Sheriff —Have any of the boys been punished? Mrs Tarvit—Yes, twice over, sir. (Laughter.) When the two older boys were signing their plea Mrs Watson, addressing her offspring, said—” Dinna shak’, Dauvit, when ye’re daen t.” The Sheriff admonished the lads.


PETERHEAD STEAMER STRIKES A SUNKEN WRECK The steamer Ugie, which arrived at Leith on Saturday from Peterhead with herring. reports having struck what appears to be a sunken wreck on Friday half a mile S.S. W. of Cellardyke. The wreck was dangerous to navigation. The steamer did not sustain any apparent damage. On Sunday morning a steam tug arrived at Anstruther, and in the course of the day had some grappling operations to find out the sunken wreck, which is generally supposed to be that of the trawler sunk in the snowstorm and gale of a few years ago. It may be remembered that several men saw the trawler go down, and from the gear which was recovered afterwards it turned out to be a Granton trawler, the crew of which had abandoned her at the time. During the present season a number of fishermen have complained of the wreck destroying their nets while at the herring fishing, It is expected that the vessel will be removed soon

SUNDAY EXCURSION SAILING . On Sunday afternoon, one of Messrs Galloway’s steamers arrived at Anstruther with an exceptionally large number of passengers. The weather was remarkably warm and mild, and the sail much enjoyed. Upwards of 300 landed in Anstruther at 3.30, and the steamer took on board a number of passengers who had a short cruise for an hour. The hotels and restaurants were much run upon for provisions to serve so many people.

LAUNCH OF A FISHING BOAT. On Saturday afternoon, Mr Jarvis launched a boat from the boat-building shed at the Harbour Head to the order of the Skippers Gardiner. A very large number of people assembled to witness the launch, which was most successful. The christening ceremony was performed by Miss Maggie Gardiner, daughter of Skipper Philip Gardiner, who named the boat the Maggies. The boat is a very fine model, is 66ft in length, 20 ½ feet in breadth, and 10 ½ feet in depth. She is to have all the latest improvements for the different kinds of fishing, and is expected to sail for the south coast next week. (This vessel in 1924 was owned by a Faroese Fishing Company and in 1925 went ashore in Iceland and was a total loss)

BOATS VERY MUCH AT A DISCOUNT. —Acting under instructions from the N. B. R. Company on Wednesday, an auctioneer held a sale of the old boats lying in Leven dock, some of them belonged to St Monans, Buckhaven, and Cellardyke, all of them about fifty feet long, One craft with the water going in and out of her changed hands at sixpence, another brought threepence more after a stiff piece of talking by the auctioneer and a third went at the princely price of half a crown, a halfpenny per foot of keel. They have to be removed within fourteen days. Leven folks will not be sorry, it is the wish of the place that the whole lot be cleared out. It is believed the Company will send a dredger to the river in the end of the month to clear out the entrance.

A HARTLEPOOL MYSTERY Considerable anxiety has been occasioned in Cellardyke by the strange disappearance of a named John Gardiner, 28 years of age. He is one the crew of the Cellardyke fishing boat, Maggie Scott, who went into Hartlepool on Saturday. In the evening several members the crew left the boat to go an entertainment. but Gardiner declined to accompany them, giving his reason, that suffered from deafness, and could not hear what went on. After parting with his comrades, Gardiner wandered about Hartlepool, and was seen before midnight by the harbour police his way to the boat. Sunday morning was found that his bunk had not been used during the night, and the crew informed the police. Inquiries were made, and grappling-irons used in dragging the harbour, but without any result Sunday and Monday. The crew telegraphed Cellardyke, thinking Gardener might have gone home Scotland with the train, but the relatives wired back that had not been there. The parents and relatives are beginning lose all hope, and think must have fallen overboard attempting to reach his boat, and that his body has been carried out the sea on the tide. He is a native of Cellardyke, and well known in the East of Fife.

 – a few days later –

KIRKCALDY FISHERMAN DROWNED. Our Scarborough correspondents telegraphs:— John Gardiner (28), part owner of the Kirkcaldy fishing boat Maggie Scott (No. 27), at present fishing out of Scarborough, has been drowned. The vessel put into West Hartlepool a week ago, and the crew, with the exception John Gardiner, attended an entertainment in town, and, on returning, missed Gardiner, who was not seen again. Yesterday the crew received intimation that his body had been found in the water. Gardiner belonged Cellardyke.

KILRENNY PARISH COUNCIL. A meeting of this Council was held last Friday night. Rev. Mr Ray, in the absence the Chairman, presided, and Messrs Black. Jackson, and Gardiner were present. The Chairman said they were all very sorry Mr Marr was not able to be present. There was only one wish in their hearts that he might soon be quite himself again. (Hear, hear.)

APPLICATIONS FOR RELIEF. An application was read on behalf of Helen Wallace, Aberdeen, a native of Cellardyke, 41, in which it stated that her aliments were debility, alcoholism, and itch.” (Laughter.) It was reported that she had been away from Cellardyke from 7 to 10 years, and that she had been married in Greenock. Liability had been denied. She now admitted she had been married to an Irishman, but she had left him and did not know whether he was living yet or not. Since liability had been denied on the 18th of August no further communication had been received from the Inspector of Aberdeen.

KILRENNY. A DESERTER. – Before Sheriff Armour on Friday at Cupar, Peter Campbell, shoemaker, Kilrenny, was charged with having deserted from the Royal Artillery on 21st June at Aldershot. He pleaded guilty, and was sent to Dundee Jail for eight days pending inquiries by the military authorities. Campbell has been employed for some time as a worker in the K. Y. Bootery at Cellardyke.

FOR SALE, Boat, CEDRIC THE SAXON, 47 feet long, just as come from fishing, all in good condition. Apply Henry Reid  (Reid), 14 Shore Street, Cellardyke

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *